Automatic to manual - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Automatic to manual
Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:16 PM
Im looking for a new shell for my car because it has accumulated so much damage that I don't feel like doing all the body work. Cars with Automatic Transmissions are a lot easier to come by than standard transmissions. Is it possible to swap an automatic shell it manual trans? if so whats involved?

Re: Automatic to manual
Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:46 PM
Yes it is possible and has been done, I think there is a good write up but can't find much. The is many write ups on this forum that should be a sticky but are not so it makes finding info later hard. Here is two links I found that may help
4T40E to Getrag F23 Swap
How do I swap my auto to a manual? FAQ
Important quote from the link.....
Quote:

It is important to note, that because the bellhousing is different between the 2.2L (pushrod) or 2200 engine, the 2.4L Twin Cam (LD9) engine, and the 2.2L Ecotec - the transmission MUST come from the same motor. You cannot use a 2.4L transmission on a 2.2L, unless you swap the bellhousing (which requires the transmission to be disassembled). Get the right transmission to start with, and it's a much easier job.

Id recommend finding a 00-05 cavalier with the Getrag as IMO it is a better transmission than the Isuzu. And I guess seeing how you have a 02 eco/getrag already that would probably be the way you go anyways....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, March 08, 2014 3:05 PM
Ignore that quote as I guess it probably wont apply to you. Since you are going to reuse your eco/5spd and swap it into a car with better body.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:49 AM
Hi I'm also doing a trans swap a auto to manual I have most of the work done except the wiring which I'm not very good at and that's what I need help with. I have a 96 Sunfire Gt I got all my parts from a 98 Caviler Z24 with the same engine I took everything I thought I would need the pcm wiring harness but I have noticed some of the wires on the 98 harness some of the colors don't match so I need to know how to wire the neutral starter switch and if I need to change my ignition switch or if I should go back to my 96 harness and adapt that to the trans and if so what I need to do to make it work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search