5 speed swap in a Gen 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 speed swap in a Gen 2
Sunday, September 22, 2019 8:30 PM
I'm wondering, is it possible to do a 5 speed swap in a Gen 2 (94) Cavalier using Gen 3 Cavalier/Sunfire parts?

Currently, I have a 94 Cavalier with the V6 but the transmission is on its way out. It's been brutal trying to find another 3T40 and as we all know, the earlier Cavaliers have become obscure, never mind finding a Sunbird.

So that leaves me with the option of having to make things work with another car, which brings me to the question in the first sentence.

From what I've been researching, the Gen 3 has 3 different transmissions and the 2.4 has a different bellhousing pattern than the 2.2/2200. Now my idea is to source a Getrag 282 from a Gen 2 since it's easier to find a salvage yard that keeps transmissions on a shelf compared to salvage yards that keep the whole car. I'd assume that's the safest way to do this but I'm still missing the pedals, hydraulic line and reservoir and the other odd ends and bits that make a swap work. How much of it could I get off of a 5 speed Gen 3, if at all?

Also, did GM use the Isuzu trans on both the 2.2 and the 2.4 or just one of the 2?

I also know the F23 won't work because the L61 is too different, but I still do wonder if I can use the other stuff to connect to a 282.

All help is appreciated.

Re: 5 speed swap in a Gen 2
Wednesday, October 02, 2019 8:32 PM
If you think finding a 3T40 is rough you are in for a nearly impossible quest trying to gather up all you'll need for a manual convert.
I'm only guessing, but I don't think much of anything from a 3rd gen will work on a 2nd gen. Your best bet is to find a complete Phase II second gen for your parts. You'll need a lot of stuff, including the chip from the manual cars ECM. And I for one know finding a 2nd gen V6 manual car is not easy at all. I've been gathering parts for years now trying to get everything I need to convert my 92 from auto to manual. I still need lots of stuff. Honestly, you'd probably be better off just buying a rebuilt 3T40. You can get them for around $1,200.00 and your core. Another option is to rebuild one yourself. It isn't that hard actually. Just get the manual for them and follow it.
Watch these videos to get an idea of what is involved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ByeT3KeGA
5 parts and the music sucks, lol. But they show very well what you'll be in for.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search