3 speed trans problem need help - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3 speed trans problem need help
Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:25 AM
Ok here's what my problem is the trans will jerk and stall the car out when I stop and some time it will act like it has a stall then it will cach and go it does not do this all the time some days it drives fine as nothing is wrong any ideals it's a 3 speed auto in a 2000 2.2 cavy

Re: 3 speed trans problem need help
Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:20 AM
Sound like your in the same boat as me. TIME TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION! FUN, HUH?!

Has you check engine light came on?
Even if it has not come on I would have someplace put a scan tool on and check it. I am having similar problems with the wifes 99 Sunfire and the check engine light was not on but the trans was acting up. Scan tool read code 1870 with "replace transmission" as the 1st and best overall fix.
I tried changing the fluid and filter in mine, worked for a week and the problems came back. Again "replace transmission" at the top of the list.
With no check engine light on yet.
This wasn't some cheap scan tool. It's a Matcoo one that cost my buddy a butt-load of cash! It can read everything on the road and is way better than any scan tool at the dealership I work at!
Anyway, good luck!

99 SUNFIRE COUPE, 2.2L AUTO, WHITE.
BONE STOCK...............FOR NOW.
Re: 3 speed trans problem need help
Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:57 AM
That sounds like the torque converter solenoid problem that all the berettas had... I never heard of it on J's before though, not 3rd gen anyway. The Torque converter clutch (TCC) was supposed to put the torqe converter into full lock, zero slip, when at highway speeds. However, when the solenoid used to engage the clutch went bad it wouldn't let the clutch disengage the TC when slowing/stopping. It acted something like slowing to a stop in a manual car and not pushing in the clutch and you get the jerkey jerkey then kill the engine. A common fix was to un plug the solenoid and your TC just wouldn't lock, you'd gain a few hundered rpms when cruising but nothing much else. Also when my beretta did this It would only stay locked after driving like a half hour and got the trans heated up, on short 10min/town drives it didn't have any effect.

Now that was a beretta... weather or not the 3gen J's have this wonderful feature.. I have no clue. I drive a 5speed...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search