Strange Transmission Question - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strange Transmission Question
Monday, August 15, 2011 3:14 PM
I have put a F23 into a project vehicle. Its mounted to a 2.2L Ecotec, using stock flywheel and clutch setup. This is my first time driving a J manual transmission. The trans shifts fine, the clutch works well, no grinding into 1st. The car takes off from a standstill without any issues. However, it almost seems that in first gear, the engine revs will keep climbing, past 3k, but the vehicle forward speed will stop increasing. Almost as if the transmission is in neutral. As soon as I shift into second, the acceleration returns. My speedometer does not work currently, so I can't really verify this, but I would expect 1st to pull harder than second, all the way to the redline.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Re: Strange Transmission Question
Monday, August 15, 2011 4:20 PM
Sounds like clutch slip?
Monday, August 15, 2011 4:22 PM
But it does not feel like it is slipping at all from a stop. And I haven't noticed it in second.
Monday, August 15, 2011 5:21 PM
Matt wrote:But it does not feel like it is slipping at all from a stop. And I haven't noticed it in second.

No it won't do it from a stop, you have barely any HP at that point, not enough power to overcome the friction of the clutch. once you rev your engine and hit the powerband and up your HP and Torque you can then easily slip the clutch. Does it smell like burnt clutch when you do this?
Monday, August 15, 2011 5:31 PM
I haven't noticed a smell. Its a brand new clutch disc and pressure plate. Wouldn't it slip in 2nd when it hit the same rev range?
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:20 PM
If your internals truly were "slipping", or at least in first gear only, you would hear HORRIBLE nosies coming from the transmission. The only way that would be possible is if all your teeth on first gear wear just barely touching, and I have never ever heard of that happening. Ever.

Take it out and get it into fifth around 35 MPH. Go WOT until you get up to 50-60 MPH. If you can't get there without letting of the gas, congratulations you have clutch slip. I don't know what else it could be besides that.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:48 PM
Well, I have about 10 miles on the new clutch, so I am going to wait until I get some more miles on the break in before I do to much with it.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:27 PM
Is the slave cylinder stock? Maybe it is slightly depressing the clutch causing slip?
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:48 PM
Brand new stock slave installed when the new clutch was put in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search