will they rub - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
will they rub
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:04 PM
i just ordered rims that ar 17x7 with 225 45 17 . when i ordered them they said i might have rubbing issues during tight turning is this true?

Re: will they rub
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:26 PM
ive heard that it should be fine. i know that the 215 has no problem, but as soon as i can afford it, im getting 225's cause i want the extra protection on my wheels (just bent one)

you should be fine. at worst i think it may rub ever so slightly when you turn the wheel all the way

i dont think its anything to worry about

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:46 PM
Put it this way.. i've had 245 40 18/18x8 rims on my lowered(only 1.6") cav and didn't rub once, even over some big bumps at speed etc.. might of touched when fully lock to lock turning but i didn't notice anything.

I think you'll be clear, probably by a mile.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:02 PM
cool thats what i needed to know thanx

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:38 PM
rubbing issues are caused by offsets being wrong for the wheel.

tire size affects it, obviously the wider you go, the more the chance, but you can have a 15 x 6 and rub if the offset if not right. and on the other hand you can have a 19X8 and not rub at all.

its all in the offset.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:03 PM
Isn't a 215 more suitable for a 7" wide rim? It might not look right to you, depending on your tastes..

"If life throws you a curve, pop the clutch and drift it!"
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:08 PM
Sima336 wrote:Put it this way.. i've had 245 40 18/18x8 rims on my lowered(only 1.6") cav and didn't rub once, even over some big bumps at speed etc.. might of touched when fully lock to lock turning but i didn't notice anything.

I think you'll be clear, probably by a mile.

thats a big tire, i cant picture it not rubbing. i have 225/40/18 on a 18x75 w/ a 42mm offset and i rub my front bumper a little when i turn

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:26 PM
Star Quester wrote:Isn't a 215 more suitable for a 7" wide rim? It might not look right to you, depending on your tastes..

225 is more accurate.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:51 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98]thats a big tire, i cant picture it not rubbing. i have 225/40/18 on a 18x75 w/ a 42mm offset and i rub my front bumper a little when i turn

Yah i know.. i kinda expected it too but for some reason they didn't, they came with the rims so i figured i'd give em a go. Also i meant to mension offset earlier but forgot.. mine are 40 offset.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:53 PM
I've got a +38 offset on my 17x7.5s and I'm running a 215 45 tire on it, and I clear by miles, it's never even come close to rubbing.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:57 PM
like event said, offset plays a big part in it, but honestly it sounds like you should be fine....and if you do have a rub, i doubt it will be much

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:57 PM
the best two sizes for a 7 inch tire are 215 and 225. 215 is just a bit under speedo, and 225 is a little bit over the speedo.

225 i think is the optimal choice because you get a little more tread (duh), and a little more sidewall, so you are able to better protect your wheels

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search