IV'E GOT SOME RIM QUESTIONS - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
IV'E GOT SOME RIM QUESTIONS
Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:41 PM
okay so i have been wondering and just havent gotten around to asking the question but um i was wondering if any new oem rims like cobalt ss rims or hhr rims or any like new car oem rims will fit on my 1997 z24 i was just wondering thanks cya

Re: IV'E GOT SOME RIM QUESTIONS
Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:18 PM
No

Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:53 PM
Your bolt pattern is 5x100, a lot of cars share it. Search.

Friday, June 19, 2009 3:25 PM
Your answer can be found by searching these forums, but there's a real easy way to find out if another vehicle's rims will fit. Go on any wheel and tire site (I find Discount Tire Direct to be a real good site for these things), and look up a rim for your car (so you can get the bolt pattern and offset of any given size), and then go and look up the same size rim for the car you want the wheels from. Compare the bolt patterns and offsets, and you will have your answer. The bolt pattern is inflexible, but the offset is a little forgiving (as long as the offset is within a few milimeters, you're fine, but if you see something significant, the car has a significantly different mounting setup, so your wheels would not sit in under the fenders properly even if the bolt pattern is the same).

Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:45 AM
Dont forget hub size. Though you can bore out smaller ones, and use rings for larger ones, its better to know what you need to do before you attempt to install..

Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:39 PM
Yeah, I forgot that part. I have a link somewhere that is a website with bolt patterns and hub bores for tons of vehicles. If I can find the link, I'll post it up. For the most part, same manufacturer, same bolt pattern, you'll have the same hub bores, but I have run into one or two that aren't the same (I put a set of Sebring rims on my wife's Town & Country. Same brand, same bolt pattern, same offset, but the Sebring uses a 2mm smaller bore, so I had to machine them out. Also, there are oddities, such as some manufacturers having hubs that do not protrude as far. When I had PT Cruiser rims on my Cavalier, I had to bore those out, in spite of the fact that the two vehicles share bolt pattern, offset, and hub bore dimentions. The difference is that the PT Cruiser has a hub that doesn't stick out as far as the J-body. The bore in the rims were not deep enough, so the wheel would not go all the way on. Moral of the story: even if all the specs match, you still might need to modify. But for the most part, if the specs match, you'll be OK.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search