Lip Question - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lip Question
Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:15 AM
I just bought used rims off of craigslist and they do look great but the lip on them is starting to crack a little. I know this is a common issue, the clear coat coming off, but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

I was thinking of taking the clear coat off, and then polishing or something?

Or taking the clear coat off, masking, then reapplying clear coat.

What is the draw backs to these, or any other things i can do if there is any at all?

Thanks.

Re: Lip Question
Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:52 AM
Your best bet, if you're doing it yourself, is probably just removing the clear and polishing, then keeping them waxed.

The drawback of leaving it bare are less protection against oxidation.

However, the drawback of redoing the clear coat is that if you're going to use a rattle-can, it's not going to be as durable as having it done professionally.

Re: Lip Question
Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:38 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:Your best bet, if you're doing it yourself, is probably just removing the clear and polishing, then keeping them waxed.

The drawback of leaving it bare are less protection against oxidation.

However, the drawback of redoing the clear coat is that if you're going to use a rattle-can, it's not going to be as durable as having it done professionally.

Hmm... damn. Lol. Will it really rust that bad? And wouldnt a clear that is less durable be better than no clear at all? I actually saw a bad a self painted set of rims on here earlier that someone painted their lip red then cleared. I think i MAY do this with my stock red on the lip. It would look bad @$$ with the black spokes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search