Do 5x4" rims fit on a J-body - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do 5x4" rims fit on a J-body
Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:54 PM
I know it's not an exact fit, but it's so damn close. Less than half a millimeter which is barely the width of a couple of sheets of paper. I have 4 mags made for an early 1970's Duster with that early bolt pattern and they technically fit (I tested). But will it break the lugs on the car?

Re: Do 5x4" rims fit on a J-body
Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:16 PM
what about the backspacing/offset? rwd wheels are usually a whole lot different than fwd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:17 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:49 PM
Not only is the backspacing going to be wrong, and the hub bore is most likely different, but you're talking almost a full millimeter off per stud. A 5x4" pattern is 5x101.6mm, so the total difference is 1.6mm. Divide that by 2 to figure out how much each stud is off from the center of the hub, which is .8mm. Assuming the hub bore is actually larger than the J-body hub, and not smaller, you're stressing the piss out of your studs if you put those wheels on, even before you take into account the fact that they're going to be pushed out too far on the car.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:51 PM
I know, but I like the negative offset of RWD better than positive. I'm oldschool that way. May hurt ultimate handling, but probably won't interfere with every day driving. I hope...

Monday, July 20, 2009 3:35 PM
How it looks or affects handling is the least of the concern. Read everything I said about the fitment again. The negative offset (actually probably more like zero on those rims) is just another factor putting too much stress on the studs. When you put all those things together, it's not a safe setup. For all you know, they're not going to fit anyway, because the hub bore may end up being smaller on them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search