Short drive safe with broken lug? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short drive safe with broken lug?
Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:28 PM
I just had my winter tires put on and forgot my plain jane stock lug nuts at home so they put on the winters with the keyed lug nuts I use on my summers... When I got home I figured I'd switch them out easy enough, and I got through one wheel. But when I tried starting on the next, the nut wouldn't loosen easily, so put a little more arm into it and the stud snapped.

So is it safe to drive it back to the tire shop to have them throw in a new stud with just 4/5 nuts on?

Re: Short drive safe with broken lug?
Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:04 PM
you will be fine with the one broken one, just have it replaced as soon as possible.
you would like to not drive on it, but there is enough clamping force to hold the wheel on, just make sure you torque the lugs down to 100 ft/lbs and take it easy, no fast corners and you will be good to go.

I hope you get the shop to pay for it, sounds like they cross threaded it on. that or there was metal shavings on the inside of the lug and they fell on the stud and got it stuck while taking it off. did it come off at all before getting stuck, or just wouldn't move, then broke?
if it came off a bit than they couldn't do much about that, becuase it was likely the shavings, check the other lugs you took off and clean them out.

cheers

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:38 PM
been on four lugs on one wheel on my teal cav for years in the rear.. lol and one recently on the red cav.. all thangs to mcgards

Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:12 AM
steve whitehead wrote:you will be fine with the one broken one, just have it replaced as soon as possible.
you would like to not drive on it, but there is enough clamping force to hold the wheel on, just make sure you torque the lugs down to 100 ft/lbs and take it easy, no fast corners and you will be good to go.

I hope you get the shop to pay for it, sounds like they cross threaded it on. that or there was metal shavings on the inside of the lug and they fell on the stud and got it stuck while taking it off. did it come off at all before getting stuck, or just wouldn't move, then broke?
if it came off a bit than they couldn't do much about that, becuase it was likely the shavings, check the other lugs you took off and clean them out.

cheers

Cool thanks, I'm going to get back to the shop this morning soon as they open and try to have them sneak me in before they get too busy.

It kind of moved a bit before getting stuck, but by moved I mean... the tiniest slightest bit. More like budged than moved heh. I was trying to figure out what would have caused it to snap and the only things I could think of were either them cross threading or cranking that sumbitch on there way to tight.

azncav, how were you ok with driving on four lugs for that long? Especially one?! lol
Monday, October 19, 2009 4:16 PM
He meant he had 4 lugs on one wheel. Not one lug on one wheel. I've driven with three for long periods of time.
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 6:32 PM
I had 2 broken on one wheel when I got the car and a few broken through the rest of the car. I was suprised that so many of them were broken but they are all changed now. Only cost a few bucks a piece and minutes of your time.

FOR SALE
Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:35 AM
I've been on 4/5 on one wheel since I put my enkeis on about 2 years ago. lol I really need to fix most of my lugs...

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:31 PM
98z24ragtop wrote:I've been on 4/5 on one wheel since I put my enkeis on about 2 years ago. lol I really need to fix most of my lugs...

so have i were on the same page.....but other than that you ll be fine just no reckless drivin

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:55 PM
98z24ragtop wrote:I've been on 4/5 on one wheel since I put my enkeis on about 2 years ago. lol I really need to fix most of my lugs...

me too.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 6:20 PM
I think I've been running on 3/5 on the driver's rear on my old GMC pickup for over a year now. And I pound that thing to all hell lol

Hope is not a plan. Change is not a destination.
Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:11 PM
haha I had to go around on 4 lugs on one wheel for a little while, but fixed it rather quickly. I'd be iffy if I had to ride on just 3! That seems to be more daring and Id rather not.

And now you are reading my signature...great
My 2004 Sunburst Orange Sedan - http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=47&i=54063&t=54063
input is highly appreciated!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search