Stumped on Vibration - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stumped on Vibration
Sunday, October 11, 2009 12:48 PM
Hey Guys...been having this vibration issue for a while now and its starting to bother me. It started back when I had my old tires and I figured it was due to them needing replaced. So went out and got 4 new Michelin Tires and car is still doing it. It only occurs right when I hit 50mph and then between 65-70mph. You can feel a slight tremor in the steering wheel as well as hear it, which bothers me the most. I will say that the car drives straight and doesnt pull to either side. I've already had these new tires rebalanced several times with the problem still there. So Im wondering if this actually is a wheel&tire problem or something else? Thanks for the help

Re: Stumped on Vibration
Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:27 PM
ever think about checking your rotors?

Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:37 PM
x2 on the rotors...might be warped a lil. have you been having problems with uneven brake pad wear?

or just turn off the vibrator

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:33 PM
I had my front rotors turned this past summer back in July. I remember having to go back because the service dept had shaved them incorrectly causing my brakes to knock when applied, and had the problem fixed. The rotors themselves roughly have 20,000miles on them

Sunday, October 11, 2009 9:22 PM
although even now I still feel my pedal pulse when I apply the brake....maybe I'll have them checked out thanks

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:07 PM
does it change at all if you are taking wide turns(worse if one side), if so it could be a bearing.
I would hope they checked the wheel.

Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:19 AM
The sound seems that it comes from both front wheels. It gets louder the faster you go

Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:09 PM
Cool.

I agree check or replace the rotors, 20,000k is about the average lifespan of a stock set AND turning rotors costs $20 bucks MAYBE, new ones are around $30, do it up man.
Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:31 PM
or how about get the tire and rims balanced on the car... thats the best way
Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:26 PM
I've ruled out that its not the tires needing balanced. I orginally thought it was my old tires being worn out but I recently got new michelin tires and the problem still exists.

Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:40 PM
After I lowered my car I had a vibration similar to yours, but it was only on one side. I would check the front end parts and control arm bushings first. If they seem good, I'd be replacing rotors.

Monday, October 19, 2009 2:36 PM
Turns out I need new control arms....I was quoted like $450 does that sound right?

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:13 PM
Control arms? or Control arm bushings?
Monday, October 19, 2009 4:48 PM
The Control Arm

Monday, October 19, 2009 7:21 PM
http://www.smgmotoring.com/products/1/14

Or get some from the wrecking yard
Tuesday, December 08, 2009 1:20 PM
Sounds like a bad strut to me. I've had the same exact problem with both front and rear struts.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Tuesday, December 08, 2009 6:56 PM
I doubt it would be the whole control arm... it would probably be just the ball joint. or maybe the bearings. but $450 sounds about right if your letting them do it. but you can probably save about $300 if you do it yourself :p

-------------------------------------------------
who care's if it's impossible?
I'm gonna do it anyways.
Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:37 AM
I don't believe a control arm could cause a speed sensitive vibration.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:03 AM
Has anyone checked to see if the wheel is bent on the inside? The barrell of the wheel might be eggshapped causing the vibration, try rotating the wheels from front to back and see if that changes anything.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search