235/45/17 - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
235/45/17
Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:29 AM
I know this question has been asked a billion times, but I'm going to ask it anyways.

So I'm looking at getting a new set of rims and I've come across a set I like.

However, they come with 235/45 tires. Will these fit a 2004 cavalier with a stock suspension, and will I need to have my speedometer adjusted?

Re: 235/45/17
Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:35 AM
Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:35 PM
It depends on your offset as well... I am able to run 235/45 but I am lowered approx. 2", they fit great.

Can't help you with the speedo question because I use an aftermarket speedo, sorry.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:25 PM
They'll fit fine, your speedo will be 1.4% slow but that means you'll be going 60mph when your speedo says 59mph

Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:10 PM
Another question for you guys.

How about offset? I've done a little bit of research and understand that offset is measured based off the mounting portion of the hub to the center of the rim.

Can you explain why several websites offer rims specifically for the cavalier with offsets anywhere from 35mm to 45mm?

I'm also assuming any of the offsets mentioned above wouldn't require any modifications to the suspension of any sort?

Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:38 PM
Mike J wrote:Can you explain why several websites offer rims specifically for the cavalier with offsets anywhere from 35mm to 45mm?
Two reasons:

First, the width of the rims vary, so the offset is changed to fit the wheels better.

Second, some are meant to tuck under the fenders more like the factory fit, others are meant to come closer to flush with the fenders.

Also, while not the reason for being offered like that, some guys like to put a lower offset on the rear so that the wheels fit more evenly front to back (if you've never noticed, most cars have a slightly wider track width up front, so the rear wheels are pushed in a bit more than the front-this is in part to help with the understeer from the factory).

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search