Has anyone tried..... - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Has anyone tried.....
Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:13 PM
Has anyone out there attempted a 17x9 wheel on their J? More specifially with a 35mm offset. I have yet to take actual measurements and I've already played with offset calculators.

If anyone has had experience with that wheel size let me know! I'm open for suggestions on offset size also.

I am running rolled Toyota fenders so front clearence should be fine. I will roll rear quarters if needed.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog

Re: Has anyone tried.....
Monday, December 28, 2009 5:30 PM
That would be a no...

Time to go measure.

Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:26 PM
Any little info on how you rolled your fenders?
I've got a basic idea of how to do it with a heat gun and rubber mallet but just wanted some more info in case I'm relegated to doing mine.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, January 03, 2010 2:04 PM
My local body shop cut half the lip off then rolled the remaining lip and glued it down with a door skin glue. All before painting them.

Came out great.

Sunday, January 03, 2010 2:39 PM
7.5 w/ 35 offset rubbed the rear with a drop, and sat flush with front stock fenders. Wasn't low enough to rub the front fenders when rebounding. Was close to the front and rear shocks.

8 will rub the rear and sit outside the front stock fenders. Should be close to the front and rear shocks.

9 will rub the rear and sit outside the front stock fenders, unsure about the toyota fender lineup. Regardless, it'll still look odd due to the way the bumpers and door panels are shaped. You might also hit the shocks.

Personally? I wouldn't do it. I like how 7.5-45 looks in the front and 7.5-35 looks in the rear with the rear lips rolled. And with a 2" drop. It's all about personal preference though. g/l

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, January 04, 2010 5:20 AM
Thank you sir.

I may end up trying or I might run a nice quality spacer on my current wheels. Unsure as of right now.

My 17x8 35mm fliks fit great with my fenders. Rear suspension dosent sit low enough to cause a rub. They are plenty far enough away from the shocks too. With a 225 tire.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 1:59 AM
please do this! im gonna be trying to fit some 9.5 +35 here soon. if that doesnt work there is an 8.5 +35 i can do with the rims. i wanna see how these 9"s fit tho, itll def help me out

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:08 PM
I had 17x8's with a 38mm offset on my j. no rubbing at all, except in the front at full lock. I had 225/45 KDW2's though, and those are known to have a wide shoulder.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:18 PM
I am test fitting my brothers 18x8 BBS RCs soon. They have 33mm offset.

I will take pics. It's should be hot.

But like I've said. I know what offsets for 8 inch wheels will work. I need people with experience on 9 inchers.

Friday, January 08, 2010 8:02 PM
IIRC my rims are 35mm offset, i'd have to check again but i'm pretty sure, and there 19x8's and i never had rubbing problems (coilovers) till i got my big brakes, than i had to roll the rears.

Friday, January 29, 2010 8:36 PM
wasn't chazz running a 9" wide wheel on his bagged z?

Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:16 AM
^i believe so. 18x8's here! w/ a 42mm offset! if your goin' 8'' wide! i would suggest bein' close to the 40 range on offset! your gonna hate the way they stick out in the front!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:36 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Has anyone out there attempted a 17x9 wheel on their J? More specifially with a 35mm offset. I have yet to take actual measurements and I've already played with offset calculators.

If anyone has had experience with that wheel size let me know! I'm open for suggestions on offset size also.

I am running rolled Toyota fenders so front clearence should be fine. I will roll rear quarters if needed.

my buddy with a wrx has 17x9 28mm offset drags i might be able to test fit one. i don't know if it would help you since its 7mm difference.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:15 PM
I did this before i had 17x9 in the rear and 17x8 in the front, my offset was 38mm so it wouldn't be too much of a difference. I have Toyota fenders in front and it still seems like i could go wider. The rear also seemed to be able to take about an inch more and i ran the 17x9 in the rear. I rolled the inner lip in the rear . I posted pics about 4 years ago but it seemed like no one cared.
Monday, February 01, 2010 6:54 PM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search