Need New Tires. Suggestions. - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need New Tires. Suggestions.
Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:16 PM
Okay so I'm at the end of my second set of BFG g-force sports and I want to go with something different, mainly for longer tread life. The current set has lasted about 27K. These tires are amazing in dry conditions and cornering, they are quiet, but they are crap in rain(trac control comes on all the time with these in rain). Besides wanting longer tread life and better wet traction, cornering is a must. After researching all day these are the tires I'm contemplating:

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS
Goodyear Assurance
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
General Altimax HP
Yokohama Advan S.4.

Has anybody tried these? Any suggestions?

Re: Need New Tires. Suggestions.
Friday, January 08, 2010 5:14 PM
Anybody?...

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:16 AM
skip the generals

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:35 PM
i have a 1997 caviler and i was woundering if a set of 195/75/14 would fit on them they are offof a 2wd toyota
Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:57 AM
we just put Goodyear Eagle GT's on our passat and are pretty happy with them... while i was researching tires the Pole positions always come up close if no on the top of the list. it was between those and the GT's for me... went with these because i had one tire already (got a flat months back and replaced it with this) so getting four new ones would give me a matching spare and got a fairly nice deal on them.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:59 PM
if you can get your hands on a set of tripletreds go with them otherwise most of the tires you listed are crap yok's are pretty decent im surpised you didnt like g-forces but ive only tried them on rwd cars but if youre lookin to spend a little money michelin pilot hx mxm4's are the softest tire michelin makes but not worth $300 a piece
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:26 PM
i'd go w/ the potenza's or the advan's!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:58 PM
schembo2000 wrote:skip the generals

02_redbadged wrote:i'd go w/ the potenza's or the advan's!

both very good advice
General's have a SUPER soft sidewall and will corner like mush. itll be like riding on sponges. any tire that feels like i can push my finger through the sidewall when fully inflated should be ruled out of any performance list. unless comfort is the only thing you've got your mind on, generals are out.
Potenza's are almost always at the top of the list when it comes to all around performance and comfort. nicely firm yet giving sidewalls, that corner very well. but they are usually very expensive.
advans are usually rite up top next to the potenza's in quality.
goodyear is like a joke now. their assurance tires are crap. if you like road noise and mediocre quality go there.
and the continental's are alright. not as good as the Yoko's or bridgestones but they're a decent, cheaper choice most of the time.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:58 PM
sandman8938 wrote:... im surpised you didnt like g-forces but ive only tried them on rwd cars ...

Oh I love them!!!, but I drive 500+ miles a week for work and it would be nice to have tires that lasted more than 27-28K for that reason. That is the only reason I wanted different tires.

Well I went with Yoko yk520's, they are the tires right under Advans but they aren't Z rated. I wanted Advans but they would've had to have been ordered and I barely got out of my driveway as it was as the g-forces were BALD. My car feels like a boat now but I have already corrected my response to them. I can live with them but I will never get another set of tires that aren't Z rated for this car. Plus side is these are lighter tires and I've already seen an improvement in gas mileage(only 1-2 but still) and I haven't changed my aggressive driving habits to get that mileage gain. Thanks for the info. Next set will be Advans.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:42 PM
Z rated?! does your car go over 150 mph? cuz thats the only reason you would need those. yes it is a stronger tire but only at higher speeds. good choice though 520's will last longer than most and pretty cheap. H rated holds to 130 and more variety when those yoks burn up and you go back to the tire shop
Tuesday, February 09, 2010 11:52 AM
Haha, no my car doesn't go that fast but I rarely cut the cruise control off when I go around tight curves, so I want Z rated for the sidewall stiffness. Cheap? I guess that depends on what your comparing them to. They cost me the same as the G-force, a little over $650.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:09 AM
well its a pretty good price for the size but good choice tho youll like em
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search