Longer tread life - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Longer tread life
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:40 PM
Time for some new tires...Yay!
I am currently running Falken Ziex Ze-912 205/ 60/ 15 and I have no complaints. They are rated as high performance all seasons and have lasted 3 summers. I have X ice for the winter. My question is, because they are rated as 'All Seasons' (even though I've heard they suck in snow) does that mean they will automatically last longer than a high performance 'summer - only' tire like the BFGoodrich G-Force Sport? Obviously we are going to assume that I won't drive like a maniac...all the time.

://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport&partnum=06VR5GFSPV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

http://www.1010tires.com/tires/reviews/Falken/Ziex%20ZE-912

Anyone running G-Force?

Re: Longer tread life
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:09 AM
let me re-phrase that.

On average do all season tires last longer than summer tires?
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:59 PM
Mo Joe wrote:let me re-phrase that.

On average do all season tires last longer than summer tires?

Yes, as long as that person knows how to drive.

Cooper Zeons FTW.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:42 PM
yes. look at the treadwear number.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
Friday, July 23, 2010 9:12 AM
I know I might get flamed on for saying this, but a good way of knowing which will last longer is to go by the mileage warranty... A common all season 195/60/15 might have a 50,000 treadlife warranty, whereas a performance size tire 225/40/17 might have 20,000 treadlife warranty. Tire companies know that performance tires wear out quicker, hence the shorter warranty. This is, by no means, a guarantee that your tires will last that long... like Dave Z said, treadlife depends on the driver much more than the tire. I already have close to 15k on Capitol tires 225/40/17s and theres still plenty of meat left. Burnouts, jackrabbit starts, over/underinflation, improper alignment and abrupt braking all negatively affect tire life.

Keep in mind also trying to collect on a mileage warranty is like waiting for a reimbursement from a crack dealer... tire companies know the life of their tires, and if your tires are going bald after 10k, they'll claim neglect and you'll get zero.

Friday, July 23, 2010 10:19 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:yes. look at the treadwear number.

In real world use that number means nothing. I have worn out 400 TW tires far faster than 260 TW tires.

All seasons will generally last longer than a summer only tire.

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:55 PM
High performance all season seems like the best fit for me. Long tread wear and decent grip is what I'm looking for. Not like I'm auto-crossing or anything, just want the added confidence of 'better than average' cornering / braking. Thanks again for the input!

about those tread wear numbers. Is it like a D.O.T. thing? or proprietary?
Friday, July 23, 2010 8:17 PM
Mo Joe wrote:about those tread wear numbers. Is it like a D.O.T. thing? or proprietary?

Thats DOT.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search