I've got a few wheel+tire questions. - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I've got a few wheel+tire questions.
Monday, February 21, 2011 11:22 AM
I've got a 2005 Cavalier Sedan.

It currently has the 14 inch stock steel wheels with my winter tires on it. I'm going to need a new wheel/tire combo for the rest of the year though, so I'm looking at upsizing to 16's.
I've got it figured that 205-55-R16 tires will be the closest to the same diameter, and I was looking at Goodyear Eagle GT's. The price is good, and I figure that the quality will be alright going with Goodyear.

Now, the questions.

1) I don't want to go with the wheels that Canadian Tire has in stock. Any web-stores that will ship to Canada without ridiculous shipping costs, or ones that are based in Canada?
2) For a daily-driver situation, will the Eagle GTs be a good choice?
3) For 205-55-R16, I would be looking at 7-inch wide tires, right?

Re: I've got a few wheel+tire questions.
Monday, February 21, 2011 11:29 AM
Sorry for the double post, but would 16x7.5 wheels with a 35mm offset fit without any problems?
Monday, February 21, 2011 11:59 AM
Nope, i have the same wheel/tire specs on my cav.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, February 21, 2011 12:05 PM
Tinkles wrote:Nope, i have the same wheel/tire specs on my cav.

What is this referring to?
I know that 205 55 R16 wheels/tires was a factory size option for Cavvies, what I don't know is the offset and wheel width.
Monday, February 21, 2011 7:57 PM
i think the stock wheel size is 16x6. 35mm offset would be nice compared to the high 50 or so mm offset stock.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:00 PM
azncav wrote:i think the stock wheel size is 16x6. 35mm offset would be nice compared to the high 50 or so mm offset stock.

That does sound nice. I've always disliked how tucked away the rear wheels seem to be.

So right now I'm looking at these wheels.
http://www.kaltire.com/uploads/images/Tire%20Selector/wheels/Spyn.jpg

with 205-55-R16 tires, most like Eagle GTs.

I might pick the wheels up in the next couple weeks, or wait until there is a sale. Tires can wait until April or May when the snow starts to melt.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:18 PM
even with a 35mm all around i would run a 8-10mm spacer in back to even it out with the front.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:13 PM
DropkickPutty wrote:
Tinkles wrote:Nope, i have the same wheel/tire specs on my cav.

What is this referring to?
I know that 205 55 R16 wheels/tires was a factory size option for Cavvies, what I don't know is the offset and wheel width.

That means that i am running 16x7.5 with a 35mm offset wheels and 205/55R16 tires.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:45 PM
Tinkles wrote:

That means that i am running 16x7.5 with a 35mm offset wheels and 205/55R16 tires.

The "Nope" was throwing me off, haha.

Your wheel/tire setup looks pretty good in your sig there, so I'm feeling pretty good about my choice now. I'll be sure to post pics of my car when I get the new set.
Monday, February 28, 2011 9:03 AM
Where do you live? if close to US border, just get delivered there.

Otherwise than that, try 1010tires.com

They are canadian.

DOn't bother with Eagle GT's or Kal Tire wheels. They are garbage.

Also take a look at your local tuner shops. They should have something available.

I would honestly go for 17X7.5 or 8, with a +35 offset. They will handle better and have a good ride compromise.

Decent wheels are Enkei, Konig, Motegi, Kosei, BBS, O.Z., and etc. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Want cheap tyres? Try Falken, Nitto, Kumho and Hankooks. all cheap tires, but fantastic.

What's your budget?
Monday, February 28, 2011 9:37 AM
I got 17x7 Enkei ZR-2's and 205/50/R17 Yokohama Advans. Spent a TON less than most would think.

Gotta know where to find stuff

Monday, February 28, 2011 4:39 PM
dan C wrote:Where do you live? if close to US border, just get delivered there.

Otherwise than that, try 1010tires.com

They are canadian.

DOn't bother with Eagle GT's or Kal Tire wheels. They are garbage.

Also take a look at your local tuner shops. They should have something available.

I would honestly go for 17X7.5 or 8, with a +35 offset. They will handle better and have a good ride compromise.

Decent wheels are Enkei, Konig, Motegi, Kosei, BBS, O.Z., and etc. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Want cheap tyres? Try Falken, Nitto, Kumho and Hankooks. all cheap tires, but fantastic.

What's your budget?

The nearest border crossing is a six hour drive from here. That site looks like it might be my best bet, though I will have to look into the shipping and handling charges later tonight.

I was told that the wheels I was looking at (the "core racing" brand) were manufactured by Motegi, but I'm not entirely sure this info is reliable. Searching the internet has turned up NOTHING at all, so should I look into this further, or just drop the idea?

There are no "local tuner shops" around here, but I might make the trip to Saskatoon (~150 kilometers) on Saturday if the weather is decent.
I've been pretty set on 16's. Price is one factor, and the fact that my car will be only a DD is another. I'm not looking at making it into a track demon until I'm through university, at which time I will be installing a supercharger kit. If I do find a fantastic deal on 17s though, I will be open-minded about it.

I'm well attuned to the wonders of Hankook tires, at least... my winter tires cost me $77 a piece but they are so nice. I've heard good things about Falken and Kumho, so I'll look at those as well.

My budget... I'm not looking to spend more than 1500 total... less would be nice, but I'm not optimistic.
I will take a good look through 1010tires' selection later tonight.
Monday, February 28, 2011 8:55 PM
Another double-post, sorry...

So I've looked through 1010tires, and here is what I've come up with for a setup.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?wheelbrand=Enkei&wheelmodel=FD-05
(Gee, those look strikingly similar to the Kal-Tire wheels I was looking at up there)
16"x7" with a 38mm offset.
I may end up hunting down a pair of wheels spacers for the rear wheels at a later date, depending on how this looks.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Falken&tiremodel=Ziex+ZE-912
205-55-R16

And that comes out to $1276.44 CDN mounted, balanced, and delivered right to my door by UPS. Doesn't sound too bad, though I'll be doing some shopping around before I make a full commitment, especially since I won't NEED these new tires until at least mid-May. This also gives you guys time to try and change my mind if you are so inclined.
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:15 PM
Those wheel are going to look like crap in 16". Take it from a guy with aftermarket 16s, there is too much tire. My new daily wheels are 18"(5Zigen ProRacer GN+) and i'll be picking up a set of lightweight 17s(Enkei RPF1s) for race weekends.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 2:38 PM
You think so? I'm gonna look at some 17s I guess. I'm also starting to think that it will look better if I keep the wheels as simple-designed as possible.

This is why I'm giving myself so much time to think about it, I guess.
Tuesday, March 01, 2011 3:19 PM
They probably wouldnt look bad in 18", 17 would be iffy.

I knew i wanted a bronze 6 spoke wheel, but i spent months looking at wheels before i decided on the 5Zigens.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:27 PM
So the situation is sitting right now at:

Ordered a set of wheels (XXR 962, Gun Metal with a silver machined lip) from 1010tires, but they phoned and said they are out of stock and XXR is back-ordered. I'm going to call them tomorrow and cancel the order, because I need the new wheels before the snow all melts. There's really nothing else I like on the site that is in my price range, so I will be heading into the city on Tuesday to look at some of the local shops around there. If I find anything I like I will be able to drive in again on the following Saturday to purchase them.

I'm looking for something with a darker center (black or dark grey) and a silver lip. 17 inches. The design I'm not set on entirely yet, because I have seen some 5, 6, and 7 spoke designs that I really like, and some that I think look like crap. I'll just be browsing to see what catches my eye Tuesday.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search