cheap and good summer tires - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cheap and good summer tires
Monday, March 14, 2011 10:18 PM
Hi all..

Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model? I'm in need of a set. Maybe in the $90-$100/tire range? I just found out that the one I'm running on has a cracked sidewall and it is scary. I know it's just the start of spring and I was thinking of putting my winter tires on (just got back from a very long vacation) but I'd take it off in a few weeks anyway. So yeah, any good brands? I checked discount tire direct and I'm clueless.. lol. I'm from Vancouver so my plan is to drive and cross the border and get them installed there. That way it will save me almost $300.

Thanks in advance!

Re: cheap and good summer tires
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:23 AM
I am running Riken Raptors ATM and dont really have a complaint.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:21 AM
Oh and I'm looking for a 225/45/17 size tires too.. forgot to mention that.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:41 AM
I have Yokohama Advans..Good uhp tire, Quiet with good grip and decent wear.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:52 PM
There is no such thing as cheap and good tires.

Yokos and Sumitomios work pretty well...

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:26 PM
i have hankook k106's on my 03 and they look real nice and have a good firm grip. i read a @!#$ ton of reviews and they are highly recommended. thats actuallly the size i got too. mounted and balanced it came out to 445. they have another one in that price range too like hhr or something. be carefu though mine wasn't alined real well and it wore them down kinda quick on the edges. you can get them at discount tire for that price range.
Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:54 PM
I have Fuzion ZRi tires for the summer (new this year, will let you know how they work.) However, for the last couple of years I have ran Fuzion HRi tires on both a 97 dodge avenger r/t and on my sunflower with out any complaints. The HRi are all season tires and they lasted me about 45,000 HARD DRIVEN miles (snow, ice, rain... I live in Michigan) and are an overall good tire. I recommend them to alot of people.

----

Sunday, March 20, 2011 9:15 AM
I would suggest looking at Kumho Ecsta AST. They are perfect for summer and have very good wet and dry traction. I have installed many of this model and they perform very well. They run about $70.00 a peice. Very good tire for the price.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_ast_ku25_ci2_l.jpg

(BlackFire)
Sunday, March 20, 2011 1:11 PM
I just bought some Sailun Atrezzos a few weeks ago. They are a Chinese tire, but very good quality. I like them so far.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:13 PM
I am running

215/65/15 Falken Ziex ZE-912

They hold up good in wet....and have about 80% of the grip that Falken Azenis do in the dry.

I get some tire spin, but am far from stock.

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:17 AM
I went with Hankook Ventus HRII H405. Anyone tried this set before? From reading the reviews, I figured for how I drive around, this would suffice. And the price is ok too, got a quote of around $450 installed in a Discount Tire in Bellingham, WA. I just hope my FR tire can still hold up until next Monday.

Thanks all!

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:38 AM
josh weston wrote:i have hankook k106's on my 03 and they look real nice and have a good firm grip. i read a @!#$ ton of reviews and they are highly recommended. thats actuallly the size i got too. mounted and balanced it came out to 445. they have another one in that price range too like hhr or something. be carefu though mine wasn't alined real well and it wore them down kinda quick on the edges. you can get them at discount tire for that price range.

I still have my Hankook K106's from the EXP I used to have. I would have used them but they are 16's I bought them around '03 or '04 when they were pretty new. Had them on the car for about 60 miles and got rid of it. I liked my Dunlop's I had previous to those, But the K106's are a good tire too.

Monday, March 21, 2011 12:38 PM
ive got some General Exclaims and there a good tire and work just fine for a DD.
Monday, March 21, 2011 12:43 PM
Tinkles wrote:I am running Riken Raptors ATM and dont really have a complaint.

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:32 PM
Sumitomo HTR Z

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:40 PM
cheap and good? ya get what you pay for

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:16 PM
I ran a season on the k106's and they work pretty well for the money.

i agree though... cheap and good do not go together. figure out which is more important and compromise on the other.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:48 PM
I have feirce instict tires ( a division of goodyear) and love them . Very good traction in all weather and about $80 bucks a peice.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search