8 inch wide wheel - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
8 inch wide wheel
Monday, May 16, 2011 1:43 AM
im thinking about a set of traklites... is anyone running and 8 inch wide wheels with gravanas, and wilwood front brakes? I am thinking i will have issues with tire-strut clearance with this setup.

Re: 8 inch wide wheel
Monday, May 16, 2011 2:30 AM
bro its all about offset.. width of the wheel is your second thoughts. always offset.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:37 AM
i would just try to match the current offset of your current wheels. what are the specs on your wheels now? if you stick with the same offset and go with am 8" wide wheel, all you would do is push out the wheel. no matter how wide the wheel is. if the offset is say 48mm it will always sit at the same spot.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:38 AM
Offset is 45. Wheels are a 'one off' set or at least very rare in the offset/color/lug pattern. Right now I run a 7 inch wheel with a 40 offset. What will the fitment issues be? I'm not too worried about the backs. But the fronts concern me. I have a sunfire so I can't do toyo fenders or anything.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:41 AM
im running 18x8s with a 38mm offset in front. but im also running a 10mm spacer. which brings me to 28mm after all is said and done. even without the spacer i have plenty of room. from my struts. and im still not pass my front fenders. 17x8 with a 35-38mm offset should serve you well. even further from the strut but closer to the fender.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:46 AM
Ill have to test fit. I guess rolling/pulling the fenders may be in order.

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:48 AM
bro you dont need too roll unless you plan on going low lol.

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:27 AM
Still havent gotten mine yet should be here today or tomorrow. Once i get them i'll let you know how they fit. Why trying to copy me Chris
Monday, May 16, 2011 6:30 AM
azncav wrote:bro you dont need too roll unless you plan on going low lol.

Or if you plan on racing.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:53 PM
I run 18x8 45 offset With Baer big brakes ,koni yellows and ground controls no clearance issues

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:59 PM
i am low already, and plan on going lower.

my issues is i think the gravanas i have are a big bigger then most struts, and i have issues already where my drivers side wheels sticks out further the the pass side wheel. whole car has issues.

i cant get these wheels in any other offset. then are the only set i know of, and i either take em or leave them. i guess ill have to test fit to see..

Monday, May 16, 2011 2:23 PM
YUP start paying with spacers.

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:17 PM
exactly what Azncav said, All about offset, now if you go wider the 40mm offset might not fit the same as a 40mm offset on your 7 inch wheels. your adding an inch more. Ive fit 9 inch wide wheels on my cav before, i believe the offset was 42 which i had to use spacers for, since it was rubbing on the strut and shocks. There are tools you can use to determine whats the best offset for any wheel.
Monday, May 16, 2011 3:27 PM
there is really no shopping around or anything guys. these wheels are either i buy this set or i dont. they are boxed in my buddies house. so i was just wondering what everyone knew. i know there are way to figure things out, and i did that stuff before i posted...ill just have to test fit and figure out what i need if i do buy them. i can test fit as much as needed before i decide, so spacers can be orderd and things before i need them.

Monday, May 16, 2011 3:36 PM
are they erics wheels? if so nice
Monday, May 16, 2011 3:40 PM
Snowman wrote:are they erics wheels? if so nice

yup....erics wheels with erics old gravana prototypes....

Monday, May 16, 2011 4:34 PM
azncav wrote:i would just try to match the current offset of your current wheels. what are the specs on your wheels now? if you stick with the same offset and go with am 8" wide wheel, all you would do is push out the wheel. no matter how wide the wheel is. if the offset is say 48mm it will always sit at the same spot.

Nooooooooo, that's not how it works. Offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the flange. So when you go from a 7" wide wheel to an 8" wide wheel the width of the wheel extends half an inch in each direction from the centerline. Therefore if you stay with the same offset wheel the inside edge of the wheel will be half an inch closer to the strut tower.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, May 16, 2011 5:42 PM
since 1" is about 25mm and you say we divide an inch to both ends of the wheels. were adding about 12-13mm onto each lip of the wheel? makes more sense, if hes going from a 40mm offset to a 45 with the new wheels. hes naturally bringing the hub and inner lip of the wheel 5mm closer to the strut. and then the 12mm he get from adding to the width of the wheel also adds another 12mm. ending up with about 17mm. if he ends up hitting his struts with the 45mm offset and the x8s, using a 17mm to 20mm should clear it all up. am i correct?

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:59 PM
1010tires.com says it will change by being 17.7 mm closer to the inside of the wheel, and 7.7 mm farther out of the fender..

so thats about 3/4 of an inch closer to the strut, and about 1/3rd of inch further outside the fender. now remember, sunfires cannot run toyo fenders, so my only option here is to roll them. I already stick out a bit with the 17X7 40mm offset wheels i have. so 15 mm spacers would probably work great up front, and the back would maybe need 10 or so to even it out.

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:02 PM
damn i did all that math. i was close buy some toyota fenders ! and graft the front of your fenders to the toyos. lol

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:11 PM
azncav wrote:damn i did all that math. i was close buy some toyota fenders ! and graft the front of your fenders to the toyos. lol

i have thought about it....lol

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:31 PM
azncav wrote:since 1" is about 25mm and you say we divide an inch to both ends of the wheels. were adding about 12-13mm onto each lip of the wheel? makes more sense, if hes going from a 40mm offset to a 45 with the new wheels. hes naturally bringing the hub and inner lip of the wheel 5mm closer to the strut. and then the 12mm he get from adding to the width of the wheel also adds another 12mm. ending up with about 17mm. if he ends up hitting his struts with the 45mm offset and the x8s, using a 17mm to 20mm should clear it all up. am i correct?

Indeed. He'd be better off finding something with an offset of ~35mm.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, May 16, 2011 7:33 PM
or lower... haha yea im running 35s but with 10mm spacers

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:35 PM
Yeah now that I think about it my 7.5" 18's are 35mm offset... he needs like 25-30's, haha.

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:37 PM
i run 17x8's with a 35mm offset on baers and teins. 245's fit with a roll and pull.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search