Adjusting rear toe? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adjusting rear toe?
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:06 AM
Was doing a "string" alignment the other day when i did a tie rod, i noticed one of my rear wheels, the string didnt touch both ends of the tire....is there a way to adjust the negative toe? ill get it on the alignment machine as soon as i get a chance to get it free, probably next week or so

Re: Adjusting rear toe?
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 10:35 AM
Yes, with SPC camber/toe shims.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:30 PM
nothing on the factory parts? i dont think the rear wheels should be pointed like this lol its like a centimeter off the string if you know how to do string alignment

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:49 PM
Sounds like your twist beam is bent if they are off that much...

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:54 PM
Ill have to look at it again...i did it with all 4 wheels in the air, i know you're supposed to do alignment with the car down, havent checked it with the car down....i did get rear ended on that quarter panel...although it was only a motorcycle that hit the tail light and the side, it barely shook the car when i got hit...dont think he did that

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:51 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:Was doing a "string" alignment the other day

95LsCoupe wrote:i did it with all 4 wheels in the air

I don't even know why you would waste your time doing it in the air. Especially if you know it isn't going to be close. My Dad always did the string method though. I hated it.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:02 PM
alignment is done with the car perfectly level.

our rear has toe-in from the factory (helps with stability)

only way to adjust is either to bend the beam permanently using some sort of jig or shims.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:22 PM
well it was only 1 rear was tilted in...and all 4 wheels in the air because how else would i get under it in the driveway lol but my car was pulling to the right and my steering wheel was all crooked....i adjusted the front tie rods with all 4 wheels up and now it pulls straight and steering wheel is centered...just dont think the one rear wheel should be off like that lol the tires arent wearing un even and the car isnt pulling, just gonna leave it till i get on the machine

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:04 PM
95LsCoupe wrote:nothing on the factory parts? i dont think the rear wheels should be pointed like this lol its like a centimeter off the string if you know how to do string alignment

e-brake it into a curb to even things out

Our rear stock suspension doesn't have a centimeters worth of adjustment... get it aligned at a shop, the string method is for farmers...

Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:41 AM
Front and rear tracks on our cars are not the same so using the string method will only work if you offset the difference between the front track to the rear.
I'm also a farmer because all three of my cars are done this way with near perfectly set alignments for all three. In the 20+ years I've been doing this, along with other methods, I've never had a tire that didn't go past 40K miles or wear out unevenly. Just think of all the money I've saved with not having it done 'professionally'.
95ls it sounds like you did something right in the way you did it and good luck. Btw, instead of the car up in the air, you can have the rear tires on the ground while the fronts are up in the air but with a preloaded suspension. This way you can do your adjustments while the suspension is in a loaded state.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:07 PM
Toe plates, buy them, you'll thank me later.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search