acrylic lacquer clear coat on rims - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
acrylic lacquer clear coat on rims
Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:49 PM
Refinishing some enkeis that I bought, put primer and black base coat, could have used some more, was my first time using spray cans for this, and I started putting the clear coat on.. acrylic lacquer... I was reading the can and it said to not be used with enamel paint, now looking into this, acrylic lacquer is not the best choice.. crap. What do you guys think? Any opinions or any experiences? Thanks guys.

Re: acrylic lacquer clear coat on rims
Friday, August 03, 2012 5:25 AM
Yep, it gets ugly when you put laquer over enamel.

I would strip it back down and go all laquer.

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:23 AM
Ahh the pain to remove all that paint though and all that money for that paint... Is there a way just to remove the lacquer? cause if there is.. man there are things I could do to make it so much better haha
Friday, August 03, 2012 6:31 AM
If you mean is there some chemical that will remove the laquer and leave the enamel, no. You can sand it, but you have to sand into the base coat to make sure you got it all. You can strip the paint all off pretty easily with paint stripper. There are a few available at most parts stores in spray form that work very well. Especially where the paint is fresh, it'll fall right off.

Friday, August 03, 2012 6:43 AM
What about a lacquer thinner? Ahh man I already removed all old paint with paint stripper, and it corroded some of the rim, if I do it again, Im sure it would corrode again and then Id have to sand all over again just because I got the wrong paint..
Friday, August 10, 2012 9:30 AM
What the hell did you use that corroded the rim? I've stripped plenty of rims before, and never had that problem.

And yeah, you're gonna have to sand them all over again because you got the wrong paint.
One way or another, you're doing the work. There is no easy way out. It's just the breaks of making that mistake.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search