Wheel offsets.... - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheel offsets....
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:38 PM
I am trying to plan next years wheel setup...but having a bit of a tough time grasping what will fit on our cars.

Ive run a couple sets of wheels in the past but they have always been 7" and in the 40-ish area of offset.

This comming year im looking to move up to a 8-9" wheel.

The reason I dont know the actual numbers is because I havent decided on a wheel yet other then the stye.

So im looking for ideas when it comes to offsets that will work and how to play with your offset when it comes to the wider wheels.

From my understanding the offset is the distance from the hub to the center line of the wheel. But not sure on how spacers work in conjunction. Alot of the wheels im looking at are in the 25-30 range of offset and 8.5" wide or so.

Re: Wheel offsets....
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:23 PM
Basically the lower the offset, the farther they will stick out and the farther they will be away from the strut. Wheel spacers also basically lower the offset of the wheel. A 45mm offset wheel with a 10mm spacer will sit like a 35mm offset wheel, but you will need longer studs with spacers.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:42 PM
Well @!#$ I was thinking of this totally backwards then?

Think id be safe with an offset in the 35's or so with a 8.5" wheel?
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:18 PM
From what i have seen 35mm offset and a 8" wide wheel is pretty close to the strut body, but that was with Tein SS coil-overs. Personally if i went with a 8.5" wheel i would be looking for an offset closer to 30mm.

Now if you go too wide with too low of an offset you will run into issues keeping them inside the fenders and not "poke". If you want to run the proper sized tires then you will need to widen the fenders of the car(which i support as long as it is done properly) or you can cheap out and stretch the tires(a fad that i think looks dumb).

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:43 PM
Use THIS
Type in old set-ups and compare them with what you plan on running, do a little measuring and BAM! you know what you need/want.

I'm running 9.75" wide wheels with an offset off 25. Note that I am on coils and have a little less a finger gap between wheel and strut body. Also note that I have a noticeable amount of camber, bringing the wheel closer to the strut body.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:13 PM
^Yah...youve got a little more "poke" then id like and a little more camber then id like lol.

May be putting my unmodded grand am control arms in to give me the roughly 1.5 deg of camber up front.

This is going to be tough to find the right setup.

Against your wishes I will prolly be doing a slight slight strech...possibly.

That or move down to a 16.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:26 PM
I found an amazing fitment calculator.

www.klutchrepublik.com/kalculator

Best of luck.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:29 PM
Thanks....

From what I can understand I want to be in the 25-35 range to get a 8-8.5" rim to fit. I think itll boil down to dropping the cash and seeing if itll fit. Its just hard to drop 2g on a whim lol.
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 2:44 PM
I am running a 18by 8 40 offset with a 235/18/40 and the inner part of the Tim is within a quarter inch of the spring plate in the front

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:39 PM
Spacers
Friday, November 30, 2012 4:56 PM
17x8 +35 running 245/40/17's (keep in mind the fenders are rolled and pulled, a touch of camber all around, and the car has Baer brakes too)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search