Factory wheels/rims difference between years - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Factory wheels/rims difference between years
Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:30 PM
Did not think there was a difference between the years and I searched and find this on here link as expected.

I have a 2005 since new and have had no problems except that it likes to eat front brakes. It has the 14" steel wheels and I got some 15" factory rims from a 2000-02 (long story on why) I needed them). The problem is when we where to mount them, only a few threads of the lug stud were available for the nut (using the acorn nuts from the steels until I get some better ones) then with the steel rims. Did not look safe to install with only a few threads catching. Did not think GM would change things and waste money to re-engineering things, so I checked parts web site and as I though, the hub or studs are the same for 1995 to 2005.

The hubs and studs have never been replaced and the rims are original GM sunfire rims. So is this what is normal, that only a few thread are caught???

thanks

Re: Factory wheels/rims difference between years
Sunday, June 16, 2013 6:17 PM
are you trying to use the bulkier 14" steelie lugnuts? maybe they dont seat properly to the wheels. the lugnutes from steelies are different then the ones on the "better" wheels

Monday, June 17, 2013 4:05 PM
That is what we though but do not have lug nuts for the aluminum rims to confirm the difference between the steelies lug nuts and the chrome ones. Looks like I am going to need lug nuts!
Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:50 AM
The Z rims and metal rims have different lug nuts altogether from the steelies.

A steelie lug nut will NOT hold an aluminum rim on properly - go get some lugs.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Monday, July 08, 2013 7:29 PM
I have a similar situation, 03 sunfire running the 97-99 fire gt 16" aluminum rims. Went to the parts store today and they gave me the Dorman part #611-063 bulge style 23mm length lugnut for reference. My question is if this is the correct style and/or length for the gt rims I'm running? Right now I have the lugs from my 15" steelies on there but like was mentioned above the nut doesn't grab very many threads. I've been running them for about 2 or 3 years now but really would like to get the proper ones on there. Also is $1.99 per lugnut seem expensive to anybody else because it seems like it's a bit much to me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search