Steelie restoration - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steelie restoration
Friday, August 08, 2014 3:27 AM
So ive been thinking about my steelies... I want their glossy black original look when i put on my yellow lugs (because my cavy is sunshine colored) but my problem is damaging the original steelie paint... Does anyone have an idea as to how i can go about removing built up brake dust without destroying the steelies original paint?

Re: Steelie restoration
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:48 PM
Okay so I don't know I how good of shape your wheels are in. But you can start out with some wheel cleaner and some elbow grease. I had a old legacy project that had some surface rust on the wheels. All I did was sand off all rust with some coarse and paper, rescuff with some finer sand paper, sprayed a coat of metal etching primer and then like three coats gloss black (I think it was duplicolor) and the result was great, super easy. I masked the tires with note card and sprayed in the driveway. Seriously it's easy don't be scared they are just steelies in the long run anyways.
Attachments
image.jpg (156k)

Friday, August 15, 2014 7:54 AM
If it were me, I would have the wheels media blasted and powder coated gloss black. It is a much better coating than factory paint, and is virtually immune to corrosion and chemical damage if prepped and applied properly.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:45 AM
Roofy wrote:If it were me, I would have the wheels media blasted and powder coated gloss black. It is a much better coating than factory paint, and is virtually immune to corrosion and chemical damage if prepped and applied properly.
I would agree with this, except that it would be cheaper to just buy a decent aftermarket set of steelies that are already powdercoated black. Typically you're going to spend $75+ per wheel to have them blasted and powdercoated, and you can get steel 14's or 15's for around $50 new.

Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:36 AM
Ok great!! Thats what ive been thinking about doing for a while i have my stock hun caps on now currently painted with rattle-can paint but i want to take them off, restore the the glossy steelie look, and put on some metallic yellow lugs to match my dandilions paint. thanks man!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search