Which tires for a DD - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Which tires for a DD
Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:37 PM
Looking for some tires since my fronts are down to the wear bars. I daily drive this in all weather conditions. Can put up to 15k to 20k a year easy. Want to stick to original size of 205/55R16. Also looking for a nice aggressive looking tire like my Trans Am had, just still useful in all conditions. Which one of these tires would you folks recommend?

Dunlop DZ101,

Falkin FK 452,

Yokohama S.Drive.

I have never had Falken tires, and my buddy likes the Yokohama A/Ts on his truck. Since Dunlop is made by Goodyear I am more tempted to go with those. I was hoping Nitto and Toyo would make a tread looking tire like this as I prefer those tires ( at least their load E mud terrains for trucks ).

Thanks.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Re: Which tires for a DD
Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:27 PM
Do you get any snow? I run the FK 452s in the summer, I actually put them on a little early last April I think because one of my winter tires were flat and I decided to cross my fingers and hope we don't get any more snow. Sure enough it started snowing bad one day and I had to drive home on them, It was half snow half freezing rain that day(only about 2" of snow that day but icey under) and they did okay but I bought a plug on the way home and plugged my one winter tire and re-installed them again for another few weeks.
But on to summer performance, they are super sticky and ride pretty good, they are good for up to 51psi if you want to run more pressure in them. I run 205/55/16 as well, Still playing around with tire pressures but have been running around 38-40psi F and 40-42psi R. Seems to be wearing even, I put 10000kms(6000miles??) on them last summer and the fronts were about 60% and rear were 90%, hoping I'll get 35000km(21000miles??) or so out of them. I also hit a really bad pot hole last summer, thought for sure the tire or wheel was damaged, but nothing. I'll probably buy them again, very happy with them and they are pretty cheap as well. If you do get some snow though, Id look into at least a high performance all season tires. Something like these Ziex ze 912 and I was just on Falken's site, not seeing FK 452s anymore????? That really sucks if they got rid of them....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Saturday, January 25, 2014 7:46 PM
Just read that Sportlines are in your future plans, after buying the tires, you will be more temped to lowering the car so you can so how well it really handles... I got my sportlines about 2 months after my tires. Before they stuck to the road but you still had body roll. Now they stick to the road with very little body roll.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:09 PM
Rick wrote:Just read that Sportlines are in your future plans, after buying the tires, you will be more temped to lowering the car so you can so how well it really handles... I got my sportlines about 2 months after my tires. Before they stuck to the road but you still had body roll. Now they stick to the road with very little body roll.

I was planning to, was attempting to buy some from a member here but didn't have the money at the time. Dude ended up selling at a lower price and blew me off so I would prefer to pay retail for brand new over a discounted deal in that case.. Now, I plan on Road Magnet springs since they will drop a little more and have researched they ride nicer than Sportlines. None of this will happen until I need to update the suspension though, as of now everything is fine underneath,

Anyway, yes I get snow, its currently snowing outside. I have little to no traction in powdered snow now which is why I need tires. I prefer to run one set all year round. Might start running winters up front next year but for now no. I just want the nice directional/tough looking tread and a nice solid compound for high miles. 30k miles would be a nice expectancy. I researched on here more and have found these other two tires that I am considering.

Maxxis TP39709000,

Riken Raptor ZR.

I read that Riken is a sub-brand of Michelin so that caught my attention in terms of good quality. Adding this to my first post.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:01 PM
I like Goodrich Traction TAs and have been running Hankooks for a while. Sorry too lazy to go get the rest of the info as it is really cold outside. The Hankooks are the best dry traction tire I've ever had and seem to be wearing well.

I've never had a good experience with Goodyear. Firestone/Bridgestones have "dual tread technology" or something like that. I've had 3 or 4 sets on different mini vans and really like their wet traction.

My usual practice is to run tire until they start to hydro plane. I replace them no matter what the wear bars show. Sorry, but I was a professional pilot for 22 years and learned how to be really picky. As the man said, you don't want a $20k pilot in $100k weather.

dennis
Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:48 AM
Depending on how much snow or even cold weather you get, I'd recommend at least a all season performance tire. I have these on my Wifes Mazda 3 in the summer, look like they would do okay in some snow. Hankook H437 We drive through the curvy roads in the mountains almost every year and they do perform well, the rest of the car is stock but the Mazda 3 has pretty decent handling stock... Never had any issues with the tires but never pushed them as hard as the cavalier. We get a lot of snow/ice here so 2 sets of tires are needed where we live.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:39 AM
Thanks for the posts guys. Added to the consideration list. I have googled all night on the selected tires and found oddly, that the higher end tires I chose to be least preferred and the reviews on the MAxxis MA-Z1s to be pretty positive for how cheap they are. Highly influenced now to go with them.

Your text to link here...

Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:49 PM
Dont know whether or not you got your tires yet. But i will strongly support hankook ventus tires i had a set on my 87 iroc-z and rain snow and dry they were amazing. 120+ in the rain in a fbody and it felt very confident. That goes to snow something! Thats if youve ever drove a fbody in the rain they love to hydroplane and pull tword deep water. Had none of these issues with the ventus. Heres the pic i have of them. No idea on exact model but at least you can see the tread.

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, January 26, 2014 5:25 PM
I'm playing with tire sizes on a couple conversion calculators and seeing how I could go wider and retain the stock height so I don't need a speedo/mileage recal. Seems like 225/50-16 is 24.9" like the 205/55 is, but its 8.86" wide and the 205 is 8.07". Is it worth fitting the 225 for the wider look? Or will I end up taking a substantial mpg hit? I won't do it if I lose 2mpg.

cody nobbs wrote:Dont know whether or not you got your tires yet. But i will strongly support hankook ventus tires i had a set on my 87 iroc-z and rain snow and dry they were amazing. 120+ in the rain in a fbody and it felt very confident. That goes to snow something! Thats if youve ever drove a fbody in the rain they love to hydroplane and pull tword deep water. Had none of these issues with the ventus.

No haven't bought tires yet. Still reading and reviewing. Going to call a place Monday for a quote on the Maxxis though. That is interesting. I had mine in a few hard rain storms before, handled ok but I don't remember the tires that were on it. It was an all stock '02 WS6 with just a GMMG exhaust. Sounds like a confident tire, I'll give them a look. Thanks.

Monday, January 27, 2014 9:52 AM
I dont think 3/4 of a inch will kill your mpg. I cant see the contact area of that little bit killing it 2mpg. Go for the look you want on the car man. I think youll be fine

I Love My J ♡
Monday, January 27, 2014 12:30 PM
I thought summer/performance tires were not the best for mileage either? If you are worried about mileage then a touring all season with low roll resistance would be best, overall I dont think you will notice a difference, I choose not to go with the 225s because our wheels are only 6" wide, many have ran 225s on stock wheels and all are happy but I decided that the 205 is plenty. If I need a wider tire, Id probably look at wider aftermarket wheels.

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:35 PM
cody nobbs wrote:I dont think 3/4 of a inch will kill your mpg. I cant see the contact area of that little bit killing it 2mpg. Go for the look you want on the car man. I think youll be fine

Sounds good, been researching that and coming up to no avail. I always preach, "get what you will be happy with" and I like wider looking tires, and summer is around the bend so I will go with the 225/50 tire size for appeal. I'm used to full size half ton trucks which usually come stock with all season 31" tires, adding LT rated load E tires in 33" or 34" usually drops the avg mpg 2/3 mpg so I'm just trying to avoid a major mileage drop on my 5spd thats awesome on fuel.

Monday, January 27, 2014 12:40 PM
If your looking for some cheap nice tires I just picked up 2 tires at Firestone for 90.00 dollar a piece. They were 215/55 R16 Affinity's 70,000 mile tires. very good tread pattern
Monday, January 27, 2014 12:43 PM
they are originally 130.00 a piece
Monday, January 27, 2014 5:22 PM
Still looking, added the Cooper Zeon ZTP and the Hankook Ventus V12 to the list. I decided on the Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra in 225/50-16 though as I love the tread look and all of the many positive reviews on them ( even foreign ). If I can't get those, the Ventus V12 and Zeon ZTP are in neck and neck second place. I want to order this week so we will see. Going to have to call a couple places to see who sells them. After reading a nasty thread on OnlineTires.com I am a bit scarred off from ordering online from them.

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:21 PM
Rick wrote: I was just on Falken's site, not seeing FK 452s anymore????? That really sucks if they got rid of them....

Just called OnlineTires.com to check if the Maxxis tires were in stock, they are not and won't be for weeks. Asked about the other tires and got prices, he said the Falken Fk 452 is on its way to discontinued. Not to say it confirms it but probably is it. They also don't have the Cooper's in stock, so i'm pretty much going to give my business elsewhere.

Looking online at Cooper reviews. They have a ton of respect in the truck/SUV world, hopefully some good in the car scene.

Monday, January 27, 2014 6:40 PM
DarrenWS6 wrote:
Rick wrote: I was just on Falken's site, not seeing FK 452s anymore????? That really sucks if they got rid of them....

Just called OnlineTires.com to check if the Maxxis tires were in stock, they are not and won't be for weeks. Asked about the other tires and got prices, he said the Falken Fk 452 is on its way to discontinued. Not to say it confirms it but probably is it. They also don't have the Cooper's in stock, so i'm pretty much going to give my business elsewhere.

Looking online at Cooper reviews. They have a ton of respect in the truck/SUV world, hopefully some good in the car scene.

That sucks, I think the FK 453 replaces that tire but they don't have the nice "looking" tread pattern. I've heard great things about the V12s, most sites I looked at for reviews on the FK452 were comparing those two tires. There were pretty much even, half people said they liked the V12, half liked the fk452. I may have to look into the V12s next time I need tires, which hopefully won't be for another 2-3years so their may even be more on the market then.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:07 PM
Ordered the Cooper Zeon ZTPs today. Ordered just two to put in the fronts for right now as the snow is not going away too quickly. Cooper is all over my county here but no one wants to price match online. Summit had them for $96.97ea, roughly $210 shipped. Tread Depot had them for roughly $187 shipped. Called Summit up to price match them and they did. Within 2 days I should have them. Next month i'll get a set for the back. Those are still safe for the time being ( 40% ). Fronts are a millimeter over the wear bars.

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:53 PM
I'm late to game, as I see you ordered tires already, but for anyone else or future reference, I just put a set of Yokohama AVID Ascends on my wife's Elantra and I am 110% impressed with them, especially for $400 shipped (tire rack). Its a progressive grip tire and does exactly what they're advertised to do. On dry roads, they really hug turns the harder you push into them, they have proven well on wet roads, and have also done pretty well in mild snow conditions. And to my surprise, being aired up at 51 psi, they are very comfortable to drive on. Also picked up a little mpg with them as well.
I'll be putting a set of these on my DD come spring.

Monday, February 03, 2014 5:34 PM
Got the tires mounted today, put them on myself. Getting an alignment tomorrow to ensure good wear. So far I love them! Fit and clear just fine.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:37 PM
What size are those?

I Love My J ♡

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:55 PM
Looking at the 2 middle pictures, I'm guessing 225/50/16, looks like a nice tire though.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 11:06 PM
cody nobbs wrote:What size are those?

Rick wrote:Looking at the 2 middle pictures, I'm guessing 225/50/16, looks like a nice tire though.

Correct, 225/50-16 Cooper Zeon ZPT. Love the look, have them on the front and had an alignment done yesterday for good measure. Aggressive look, all season performance. So far I am real happy. They are a full inch wider than the Goodyear Eagle RS-As though, not just 3/4". But the look is great. Just hoping mpg stays nice and high. They don't make the car feel heavy, but it sure feels more planted to the road. Speedo is hardly off also.

Monday, February 24, 2014 8:30 PM
Also too little too late, but I had a set of Nexen 5000- 205 55 16 on same style rims that you show. Had great mileage, great all weather grip, and I liked the aggressive look. I picked them up in Portland Ore for under $400 (search cl). Of course that was yr and 1/2 ago, prob changed design by now. But they were great as a daily driver for sure.
Saturday, August 15, 2015 10:09 PM
Well it has been awhile but I like to be the type to update on certain products for reliability/longevity. I just replaced these tires since they wore down to the wear bars. The grip at first was alright and they were a good tire. After half tread life I was left mostly unimpressed. A bit of chirp when accelerating in a turn ( not trying to be on the throttle that is ) and I somewhat expected more tread life out of them. When I first put them on I ran them through the rest of the winter and they did ok. Late 2014 on our premature snow storms I didn't like how they felt and I scored a set of snow tires on Craigslist so I put those on. Those made me a big believer in snow tires being worth while, so much that I plan to buy a brand new set of Blizzaks this winter. For right now the car is on the snow tires I had since they are low on tread and I intend to buy new this season. But from Feb 2014 @ 87,370 miles to Aug 2015 116,220 I put 28,850 daily driven miles on these Cooper Zeon ZPT tires. I also can't seem to find them now, I suppose they discontinued them.

Anyways, here are some photos of them after removal.

Next set of tires after winter I am still unsure of. I am sure of 225/50-16 though. I want to try either the Yokohama S.Drive, Hankook Ventus V12s, or the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. I still like the forward tread look, but the ratings on the Zeon RS3-A are sky high and positive I think I would rather get the positive feedback tire.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search