Confused on the tire pressure i need to run. - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Confused on the tire pressure i need to run.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:27 PM
Okay i know almost every tire ive had on my cavi has had a max tire pressure of 35psi cold. Now that i bought a pair of Falken Xiex ZE512's they say that the max tire pressure is 51psi cold.

Now my question is this Gm recomends like 32-35psi for the tires. Should i just stick with that or should i run these tires into the 51psi range? The tires look like they are low on air and everything. Loads of grip with 35psi but im concerned about the tire life because of where im located. The roads here tear up tires like no other. I went through a set of 50k mile tires in under 20k miles just becuase of the roads out here. Can anyone shed some light on what i should actually do about this

Thanks
Jacob

Re: Confused on the tire pressure i need to run.
Thursday, July 07, 2005 7:59 PM
Well i'm guessing it's a low profile tire since it's 51 psi cold. When i had my 17's i ran them at about 40 psi, max was 44. I say about 38-44 you'll be fine
Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:35 PM
less air will allow more flex in the sidewall. more air will increase the harshness of the ride.

My general rule is to start about 10% below max air (45psi would be good for you) and adjust from there. My continentals are 44 max, and I generally run them at 38 for ride comfort and gas mileage.

Sig removed because some people cry too much.
</a>Scott Heflin, President Team Forward Motion <a href="http://www.teamforwardmotion.com" target="_blank">TFM </a>
Thursday, July 07, 2005 8:42 PM
I talked to a few other people and they said somewhere in the 40 psi range should be good. And no these arent low profile tires or anything. They are the stock 195/65-15 tires that i use with the car. Thats what has thrown me for a loop.

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS.
FEAR THE THREAD KILLER!!!!::inserts evil laugh::
Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:59 PM
my 50 psi tires I've run at 40 psi cold, and its been about 1400 miles smooth as can be.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Friday, July 08, 2005 11:30 AM
The Thread Killer (RMPE) wrote:I talked to a few other people and they said somewhere in the 40 psi range should be good. And no these arent low profile tires or anything. They are the stock 195/65-15 tires that i use with the car. Thats what has thrown me for a loop.

hmm..., well since they're the original size, you should be fine running the normal air pressure. The thing is, that tire can go on so many different cars, which, obviously have different weights. The 51 psi max @ xxxx lbs means that the most the tire is recommended to carry at that particular weight. I used to work at a tire shop and we constantly worked on government work trucks (GSA) and also alot of f350's, ram and chevy 3500's, and the manufacturer always recommended 80psi in the rear.....and the tires we carried for those always maxed out at 80psi, so just to be safe i set them 5lbs below the tires max since it would raise with heat anyway. Scott hit the nail on the head. Since your tires have a max of 51 psi, thats more than likely gonna be a pretty stiff sidewall, but like the people you talked to said, around 40 psi will work fine, but's it's gonna be a pretty stiff ride......then again when it comes down to modifying a car...i don't think too many of us have ride quality as a top priority Hope this helped
Saturday, July 09, 2005 12:08 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I decided to set them at 35psi for now and see what kind of tire wear shows and how the ride is. Im probably going to raise the tire pressure when i make the move from Southern California to Wilmington, NC. That way im hoping that i can gain a little bit of gas mileage back. Im just thankful its a farely flat trip compared to going to Las Vegas. Up hill to and from there kills gas mileage.

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS.
FEAR THE THREAD KILLER!!!!::inserts evil laugh::
Monday, July 11, 2005 9:34 AM
Won't cranking the air pressure on those tires like that make them bulge in tyhe middle and wear out in the thread? Just wondering.......

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Monday, July 11, 2005 3:27 PM
over inflation causes wear on the center of the tire.

under inflation causes wear on the outer edges of the tire.

Generally for irregular wear to begin, the tires must be over/under inflated for a good length of time... 3000 miles or so

</a>Scott Heflin, President Team Forward Motion <a href="http://www.teamforwardmotion.com" target="_blank">TFM </a>
Monday, July 11, 2005 10:18 PM
O man a friend and i were talking abotu this today!

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:11 AM
Just go with what it says in your door jamb. I did that with my 215/45/ZR17's and they still looked new after using them for 3 summers.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05

Tuesday, July 12, 2005 3:52 PM
rating on the door jam is for factory stock tires. Not for aftermarket tires.

Just ask Ford and Firestone.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search