rim cleaner? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rim cleaner?
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 6:15 PM
I have some stock Z-24 rims for a 98 cavalier and I am wonderinf if I use acetone (finger nail polish remover) to clean some SERIOUS brake dust would it "bleach" the rims by like turning them white? I was using some carb cleaner with GREAT results, but it "bleached' my tire. SO whatever serious cleaner I use form here on out, I will be sure to mask the tires off. But what is yall's say so on acetone?

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.

Re: rim cleaner?
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:01 PM
theres alot of good wheel cleaner out there.. i forget what i used on the grand am gts on the vert in my sig. but imagine wheels from a junk yard on car with caked on dust. i really forget the exact name of it but i think it was from eagle one... also, what i use to clean the wheels on my work truck (bobtail hinos) was simple green. i spray on let it sit for a minute then sprayed it off. it takes almost all brake dust off save for a bit a wiping with a rag.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:10 PM
Probably A to Z wheel cleaner is what you were thinking of. It works excellent, but you can use it up pretty fast and gets costly. Very costly for me living on our 1/2 mile long gravel driveway, sometimes it isn't even worth washing my car. Tires turn brown by the next day anyway.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:54 PM
I use this product

Mothers All Wheel

I've had good luck with this product, and have never had it bleach anything except my drive way haha

Lanman31337 -F = fatties = do not want. A little chunk in the junk is ok though.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:29 AM
i used some different cleaners before but never been satisfied with any of them. i just keep them clean once a week by washing the car. i clean the wheels by hand with just warm water, it works really well. if you dont allow the brake dust to cake on the rim over time then its never a problem to get off. if your pads are creating alot of dust, try switching to a cermic pad.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:20 AM
so, anyone ever use acetone?...

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.
Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:41 AM
why dont you just go out and buy rim clean like black magic or hot wheels?

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:37 AM
Well, acetone will probably harm the finish since it strips paint but since there's serious brake dust anyways, go for it. Worst that could happen is you have to paint 'em.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:28 PM
Maybe I will go and buy some "good" wheel cleaner, I was just wanting to know about other things that would work. Like I tried everything on my windshield, and the best thing to use to clean my windows is alcohol... And maybe I made an overstatement above when I said serious brake dust. i keep my rims clean, but it looks as if there is brake dust stains from a previous owner, and I cant figure out to get it off... I mean, carb cleaner did great, but I need to mask my tires off next time. I dont think any ordinary rim cleaner is going to get this off... But anyways, thanks for the help, and I guess it is all trial and error from here.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:36 PM
^^ the stuff i listed is corrosive, took care of all my old rust marks, but didnt harm the finish on my wheels

Lanman31337 -F = fatties = do not want. A little chunk in the junk is ok though.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:31 PM
wrong turn, maybe I will give the mothers a shot. I have some greazze off that got from work, if that doesnt do the trick then on to mothers I go, and of that doesnt work, then I will try the acetone. I trust mothers in everything with car detailing, so maybe that would be a good choice. If all else fails, I will pick up some more carb cleaner and be sure to mask my tires off.... I will post results and pics.

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:47 PM
I use Meguiar's Hot Rims all wheel cleaner. It's strong stuff. If you ever use it, make sure to take a breathe before spraying as it is bad for the kidneys. LoL.
Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:37 PM
well, after a good long trip and plenty of brake dust, rust spots, and what not, I decided what the hell, use the acetone... I taped off the tires, and believe it or not, it actually made them look like new, it didnt bleach them, but it did do something to the stock finish, now it has more of a polished look to the rim, which I love! I took pics, but cant get them posted. I wont be on for a lil bit, but I will try to add it to myspace of cardomain for everyone to view. I was amazed to say the least, and the acetone cost me $1 at the dollar general!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:34 AM
Moar Candy! LAWL wrote: If your pads are creating a lot of dust, try switching to a cermic pad.

Member of JBO - 9 Years & Counting...
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:06 AM
matthew christian wrote:well, after a good long trip and plenty of brake dust, rust spots, and what not, I decided what the hell, use the acetone... I taped off the tires, and believe it or not, it actually made them look like new, it didnt bleach them, but it did do something to the stock finish, now it has more of a polished look to the rim, which I love! I took pics, but cant get them posted. I wont be on for a lil bit, but I will try to add it to myspace of cardomain for everyone to view. I was amazed to say the least, and the acetone cost me $1 at the dollar general!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:27 AM
I've had luck with the turtle wax platinum wheel cleaner and a soft brass bristled brush. Took brake dust and residue from castrol superclean that didn't get the brake dust off with minimal scrubbing with the brush. Normally I don't care for the turtle wax products but nothing else had worked. Used it on clear coated aluminum rims.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:55 AM
That more polished look is probably the new found lack of clear coat... Don't put @!#$ that strong on clear coated wheels or you're just asking to take the clear off of them.

I've been a big fan of Meguiar's Hot Rims too. But I find simple green and rag works just as well. Speaking of which I think my Z24 wants detailed today.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search