Sound Deadening - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sound Deadening
Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:11 PM
So I am redoing the interior in my 99 z24 and took off the inside rear quarter panel panels and noticed rubber inserts in the metal on the sides. After pulling out the rubber inserts it opens a hole between the interior frame metal and the sheet metal of the exterior. It's just an empty space, so I thought about filling it with something to cut down on noise back there kind of like a blanket in a drum, any ideas? Or cheaper kind of dynomat, like a home depot kind? Thought about filling the space with even packing peanuts.

...you want a pic, then help me build something worth taking a pic of....

Re: Sound Deadening
Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:22 PM
If you want to fill it, get some closed cell foam. You can get big rolls of it at carpet stores.

Monday, March 01, 2010 12:53 AM
I think he is talking about the same thing i thought of...

The stuff under the factory carpet? also under home carpeting as well, but not sure if its 100% the same stuff, I have TONS of it sitting around here if you would like some of it, ill get rid of it cheap...its the same stuff as what they use from the factory for sound deadening.

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Monday, March 01, 2010 10:07 PM
some cheap closed cell foam here too. i'll be ordering some for my system here in a couple weeks.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:17 PM
Is anyone using the closed cell foam? How good is it? What the best way to cut down on the noise?
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:11 PM
Used www.b-quiet.com 'extreme' on my car.

Love the stuff and its extremely cheap.

Link here for my install

Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:10 PM

Anybody with solid mounts done this? I just put a set in. Now I hear every noise from the engine and every piece of plastic rattles. I'm gonna insulate everything from the firewall back, but undecided on what to use.
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:30 AM
I've used FatMat on several cars, and am currently covering the '00 Cav I'm getting ready for my daughter. When you do it right it makes all the difference in the world, no matter how much audio you throw at it. And it's relatively cheap, around $129/100sqft. I'll post pics this weekend of the progress.
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:41 AM
in the rear i used cascade v-bloc spray all on the exterior panel and back around the wheel well. then i laid in some dound damping sheets and then i stuffed the hole full of the egg crate foam stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:52 AM
I just thought of this from SNDSgoods post...you know the things for beds? The eggshell looking things that make it more compfortable or whatever...theyre made from foam...wouldnt that be basically what you used? Would it really benifit any in any are of the vehicle to use that?? Just wondering what the use was as far as you using it...

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:24 AM
David Ortlieb wrote:I just thought of this from SNDSgoods post...you know the things for beds? The eggshell looking things that make it more compfortable or whatever...theyre made from foam...wouldnt that be basically what you used? Would it really benifit any in any are of the vehicle to use that?? Just wondering what the use was as far as you using it...

Open cell foam (bed stuff) grows mold like no one's business. You need to get closed cell (the black/gray stuff) if you're going to put it in a car.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:27 AM
Ah, never thought of that lol....i saw some that said it was for recording studios...it was black, so im guessing thats the same stuff....anyway, anyone know the benifit it would have??

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:28 AM
It blocks and absorbs high frequencies. So stuff like wind noise.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:44 AM
Hmm....any benifit audio wise? Maybe help road noise a bit? Just basically going to make the cabin quieter is a way to put it?

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:07 AM
It might stop some high frequency reflections, although since it will usually be under panels, not likely much. And most of the road noise comes from the bottom of the car. Do you have a particular problem your trying to solve?

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:16 AM
No...Im going to be deadening the whole car as im walling it with 4 12s, and obviously at that point, dynomat is my best friend lol...just was wondering if while i was doing all that if doing the foam could be beneficial for anything..

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:21 AM
If you put foam down, and then put mass loaded vinyl on top of it, you will cut down a lot of road noise if you cover the whole floor (it's called a decoupling layer). Or look into Cascade VB-3 or VB-4, both of which have foam and blocking material (either MLV or lead) built into one sheet of material.

It won't do anything for vibrations from bass, but it will likely keep more bass in the car.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:30 AM
What i was thinking...as far as if it were to keep more bass in the car, in turn, little more SPL, im assuming? I was going to use fatmat, probably 2-3 layers over the whole car, then if it will be benificial any, foam in quarters, doors, behind the dash, anywhere you think it could be useful? lol

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:36 AM
Doing multiple whole layers of the car is a waste of money and gas (from the extra weight). Just do one whole layer (even that is a bit overkill) then where there are large flat spaces, put a smaller square of mat in the middle. Don't forget about transverse waves. When the metal flexes from bass, yes it moves in and out, but that in and out movement causes a wave to propagate outward from the epicenter. Putting the piece of deadener in the middle of the panel acts like putting a vertical pole in a pool of water, when the waves hit it, it breaks them up and they diminish, more than without the pole.

I would never use more than 1 full layer and 1 "layer" of spot-treatments in a car. There's no point.

I'm not a foam guy. Never really believed it had any benefit in out cars, unless installed where it's an eyesore (ie: the windows).

If you're going to stuff panels with something, use jute.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:40 AM
What the hell is jute? lol

Thanks BTW

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:43 AM

The stuff that you probably pulled off the inside of your doorpanels because you thought it was ugly.
It's cheap and it works better than most stuff.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:06 PM
ive gotta disagree with you a bit brad. because i did 2-3 layers on everything and this is the quietest car ive had. anything done in layers is going to block more sound. the more road noise you keep out of the car the louder your system is going to sound and less power youlle need to get to that same volume. along with the fact that the more weight you add to an object the more pressure it will take to move or shake or vibrate that object. i never build very powerful system i generally stay under 1000 watts total. the sunfire is my moudest at 1200 watts. but most of my systems have been 400 and under. and effective sound damping has helped in making that low power system sound better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:08 PM
Did you do it all at once, or did you ever give the 1.5 layer deal a chance.

For weight vs. Effectiveness I say that you can't be 1 layer of mat, 1 layer of break-up mat, and one layer of decoupling.
My car is a tomb.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:21 PM
should say "can't beat"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search