Shifter Console Lights - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shifter Console Lights
Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:50 PM
I am new to Chevy Cavs. I have an 05 ls sport Auto trans and was wondering if the PRND321next to the shifter illuminated when the headlights were on. Mine are not and it seems a little weird that they didn't. Is this how they are or could there be something wrong?

Thanks
Brian

Vic Red 05 LS Sport

Re: Shifter Console Lights
Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:30 PM
Yes. They are supposed to illuminate when the headlights are on. Take apart the center console and replace the bulb underneath the shift indicator bezel. or you can go LEDs =D

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=45&i=104690&t=104565

—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-

Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:23 PM
Your led setup looks really nice! I like that and may bite that from you. Is the center console easy to take apart and what kind of led did you get?

Vic Red 05 LS Sport

Sunday, April 18, 2010 8:19 PM
Brian V wrote:Your led setup looks really nice! I like that and may bite that from you. Is the center console easy to take apart and what kind of led did you get?

Thanks bud! Yes the center console is very easy to take out...

total of 4 bolts (cant remember the size. Think I used 10mm socket with an extension)

2 underneath the lid at the very bottom
1 underneath that little tray section that pulls out
1 underneath the oval shaped cover in the tray under you radio and HVAC controller

after you remove these nuts make sure you push the e-brake boot onto the shaft of the e-brake. (I pulled the e-brake, was easier for me to lift the console over). Then remove your shift knob. there is a little clip holding it in on the front of it. Use a flat head to pry it out.

unplug the power outlet on the passenger side from the inside of the console as you are lifting it out.

after you get the console out you will see the shift indicator is still attached. There is one large clip on the drivers side and 2 smaller clips on the passenger side (you will see what I am talking about). use a flat head to pop the indicator bezel from these clips, then lift it up over the shift... shaft... (sounds funny?)

inside the black plastic housing you will see the bulb for the shift indicator illumination....

Now for the LED lighting...
I used a blue LED "panel" that I picked up from Auto Zone. Can't remember the brand, think it was "Type S" or something like that. There is a little "try me" button on the package. They have a large one and a smaller one. Get the small one, if you went through my thread you will see why. Also pick up some 3M double sided tape. It also comes with extra bulbs and stuff. Throw them away, don't need them.

Now cut the gray and black wires for the bulb in your car. CUT AS CLOSE TO THE BULB HOUSING AS POSSIBLE OR YOU WON'T HAVE ENOUGH WIRE.

Now open the LED panel package and unclip from the "try me" button. Cut off the little black connector.

Now splice the red wire from the LED panel to the gray wire in your car, and then the black wire to the black wire (obvious).

cut a piece of the 3M tape and attach it to the back of the panel. Mount the panel onto the black housing in your car. Mount as low as possible, until the corners of the panel hit the raised side of the black housing. This evens the illumination for all the letters. Looks much better this way, unless you like a brighter N D 3 and a darker P R 2 1.

Put everything back together in reverse order, and enjoy your sexy new shift indicator lighting. The dimmer still works too!

Monday, April 19, 2010 5:55 AM
hey.. thanks a lot.

Vic Red 05 LS Sport

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:04 PM
what type of LED buld is it instead of just buying all of dat just go ahead and buy an LED bulb and does anyone know what kind of LED bulb is it
Monday, April 19, 2010 8:34 PM
firesfurry03 wrote:what type of LED buld is it instead of just buying all of dat just go ahead and buy an LED bulb and does anyone know what kind of LED bulb is it

I'm sure it would have the same model # as the regular but it would be so dim. You would need a strip I would think.

Vic Red 05 LS Sport

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:48 PM
The 12 LEDs in the panel = much brighter than 1 LED. Only difference is it's a little more tedious to install really... and you are stuck without the original bulb housing, if you ever needed to revert back to it. Also, 1 LED bulb is going to direct the light in less of a radius, meaning the light is going to be very uneven imo.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:00 PM
WICKED.

i just took my center console apart to clean it, the main focus being my PRND321 lights were not working since i got the car, and it was driving me crazy!

found out the bulb was blown, just ordered a 12v LED strip off amazon for 7$

Now to change the color of my instrument cluster lights... search time!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search