Best way to clean oil spill from a trunk - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best way to clean oil spill from a trunk
Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:55 PM
I think BP was in my Sunfire's trunk this week...i had a big bottle of oil that i was going to use when i was planning to get my oil changed. I had opened it a week ago since my car has been using oil and then when i opened my trunk tonight, i found that the cap came off and it all leaked out into my trunk. What is the best way to clean it up? i have looked on google and most people seem to suggest to blot up the oil and then use some stain remover and then after that is done then shampoo it. Is there any stuff out there that will pick it up better than blotting paper towels (i am kinda pressed for time cause i leave on a trip tomorrow afternoon and won't be back for 11 days......t

Re: Best way to clean oil spill from a trunk
Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:27 PM
use Tuff Stuff. i got a can of it and it works wonders. it is so much stronger than resolve. i made an old couch with so many soda stains and dirt stains. it took so many cycles through, but afterwards it looked so much better. just have to keep at it for a while. either that or you can shampoo it. i would recommend using tuff stuff til you dont see any more difference and then shampoo it. use a cloth rag to do this. thank me later.
Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:49 PM
cat litter to remove most oil.. simple green to help clean the residue then pressure wash the liner at your local drive in car wash .

Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:18 PM
There is no way as of yet. You're going to have to wait till August to find out the myth on how to stop an oil leak and how to clean it up.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Monday, June 28, 2010 6:07 PM
Cavie Freak aka E-Thug wrote:There is no way as of yet. You're going to have to wait till August to find out the myth on how to stop an oil leak and how to clean it up.

You need a robot with a diamond tipped saw blade

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:04 PM
Well, don't ask Obama. It's not like he can come suck it out with a straw.

Friday, July 02, 2010 10:43 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:Well, don't ask Obama. It's not like he can come suck it out with a straw.

I think he can he sucks so many other corporate and congressman's dicks. Should be able to take care of it without leaving the white house. Just needs to do one little slurp and your good.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Friday, July 02, 2010 11:14 PM
Tuesday, July 06, 2010 1:33 PM
azncav wrote:cat litter to remove most oil.. simple green to help clean the residue then pressure wash the liner at your local drive in car wash .

This.

This happened to my sisters subaru, though it was a gallon of vegetable oil, all of it spilled and smelled horrible. Kitty litter took care of the heavy stuff, and simple green is great for cutting through grease without harsh chemicals that will make the car smell even worse. To this day, you can barely tell where it spilled unless you look really closely, but the important thing is that it doesnt smell anymore.

Not to dick ride Simple Green, but it really works. It got red wine out of my dads '98 Corvette, and he didnt believe me that it would come out. it came out without a problem.

If you dont have simple green around somewhere, get some. its kind of expensive, but worth every penny

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:24 PM
I would just go junkyard surfing for a like-new one.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:24 AM
if you already have a K&N cleaning kit try some on a small area, the cleaning ingredient is designed to strip oil off of air filters, its seriously strong stuff and i guess its safe for fibers since the K&N filters are made out of cotton

14.82 @ 97 mph

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:33 AM
Mike wrote:I would just go junkyard surfing for a like-new one.

id problaby go this route. u can pick them up for cheap and will likely be easier then trying to get oil out of a carpet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:25 AM
Use the Top hat!! Seriously though, kitty litter or sand works. I know shops use sand when they have oil leaks.
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:15 PM
I wil go NEW/USED for the win
To heck with trying to spend 15 bucks on a part you can replace for 20

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:40 PM
10 minutes replacing

vs.

30 minutes scrubbing and cleaning up any mess you make trying to get it soaked up and out.

I choose replace the carpet. It's cheap and easier then trying to scrub just to find out it won't come out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search