Mileage Change Please Help - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Mileage Change Please Help
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:04 AM
Nobody is gonna tell me what I can't do to my car,I can crash it burn it fix or break it .I'm in NYC so nobody gives a @!#$ about things like that.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:58 AM
http://www.odometertampering.com/

FEDERAL ODOMETER LAW Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act, 49 U.S.C. Section 32704

1. (It shall be unlawful for a person) "with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or

2. The owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.

3. A person transferring ownership of a motor vehicle shall give the transferree the following written disclosure

A) Disclosure of the cumulative mileage registered on the odometer,

B) Disclosure that the actual mileage is unknown if the transferror knows that the odometer reading is different from different from the number of miles the vehicle has actually traveled.

(b) Mileage Statement Requirement for Licensing. - (1) A motor vehicle the ownership of which is transferred may not be licensed for use in a State unless the transferee, in submitting an application to a State for the title on which the license will be issued, includes with the application the transferor's title and, if that title contains the space referred to in paragraph (3)(A)(iii) of this subsection, a statement, signed and dated by the transferor, of the mileage disclosure required under subsection (a) of this section

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:31 AM
Nate J wrote:Nobody is gonna tell me what I can't do to my car,I can crash it burn it fix or break it .I'm in NYC so nobody gives a @!#$ about things like that.

Right, You really are that dumb aren't you?

No @!#$ people don't care what you do, Its called being an adult, the difference between being an adult and being like you are now, which is a young immature brat, is responsibility and accepting consequences for what you do. Which you obviously are not prepared for.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:23 AM
Nate J wrote:Nobody is gonna tell me what I can't do to my car,I can crash it burn it fix or break it .I'm in NYC so nobody gives a @!#$ about things like that.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Meet the man who is above the law.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:26 AM
Nate J wrote:Hello Everyone
I recently bought a 2000 cavalier with only 85k and a bad motor.I had my mechanic put in a motor and trans with only 45k on them,I wanted to adjust my mileage to match so should I buy the cluster or Do I have to buy the BCM from the junkyard that sold me the setup?Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Question. Would you still be trying to change the odometer if your new engine and tranny had more miles than the original? I doubt it.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:35 AM

wow.......really?

you do what you want. I am just trying to advise you to the legal ramifications of your actions. And FYI, NO ONE wants to buy a car that says it has less mileage than it actually does, NYC or not, and when they find out, you will be held responsible.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:28 PM
The only time Ive seen a car listed as a mileage discrepency was when the odo rolled over from 99999 to 00000 because the car didnt have the 6th digit.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 12:48 PM
Steve-O (now with ecotec) wrote:you need a flux capacitor
Yeap, that would be the only legal way to do. But be careful, go too far back in time and you may end up with a pile of beer cans.
There are records on your car with the mileage. Inspection for one list mileage. Certainly a red flag will appear if on your next inspection you car has less miles than it did the year before. Don't try to con the authorities. Most of them are not the dumb asses many think they are
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:37 PM

you, sir are a clown. Nobody is telling you that you can't do it, just that it is extremely illegal and completely unnecessary. Idc if you live in NYC or Mars, it is still illegal and you are on the wrong website for that kind of garbage. Please leave.

Rollin' on 16's*
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:53 PM
Alex Richards wrote:

No @!#$ people don't care what you do, Its called being an adult, the difference between being an adult and being like you are now, which is a young immature brat, is responsibility and accepting consequences for what you do. Which you obviously are not prepared for.

First of all I didn't ask if it was legal or not I simply asked how to do it Only one guy was nice enough to explain how it may be done without all the bull@!#$. Second you don't
know me at all to judge if I'm willing to face consequences.Finally thank you Spencer for the info.
**THE REST OF YOU MONKEYS COULD EAT A DICK**
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:28 PM
whats up with all the noobs being hardasses??

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 9:51 PM
03cav83 wrote:whats up with all the noobs "trying" to be hardasses??

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:37 AM
I've built 3 engines for my car... (too much boost)

Do I get to go back to zero every time?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:16 AM
doesn't matter you won't be able to change it anyway.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:57 PM
Nate J wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:

First of all I didn't ask if it was legal or not I simply asked how to do it Only one guy was nice enough to explain how it may be done without all the bull@!#$. Second you don't
know me at all to judge if I'm willing to face consequences.Finally thank you Spencer for the info.
**THE REST OF YOU MONKEYS COULD EAT A DICK**

How's that ban feelin? Butthurt yet?
srsly- y u mad?

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:10 PM
I hate people, that is all.

OP, grow up.

what a stupid faggot you are. shut the @!#$ up and get the @!#$ off this site you homo lickbag[\hidden]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:11 PM

Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:28 AM
Everyone needs to just calm down, the person asking to roll back the odo obviously does not care much about cars if he/she is willing to risk serious fraud. If he wants to do it let him do it, does it hurt everyone else? nah.

Nate, it is a very poor choice to roll back the odometer whether you plan on keeping the car to your grave or not. Resetting the odo creates many problems not only for insurance but for regular maintenance. It is also VERY ILLEGAL, as many have stated.

Instead of rolling back the odometer, record the mileage on the car when you change the engine and then keep a log every time you perform maintenance. It will take you an extra 3 seconds of your life and move about 17 muscles. Not that hard.

I highly suggest you do not roll the odometer back....and in my opinion it was a bad idea to ask how to do this in a public forum, because now anyone can search this question ( FEDS...ahem) and they will see your name on google.
Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:45 AM
Matthew Smidowicz wrote:Everyone needs to just calm down, the person asking to roll back the odo obviously does not care much about cars if he/she is willing to risk serious fraud. If he wants to do it let him do it, does it hurt everyone else? nah.

you mean except the person who buys it after him thinking it has less milage, etc.??

Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:23 PM
Touche. lol
Tuesday, February 08, 2011 8:44 PM
To be fair to the OP, he would only be breaking the federal odometer law if he reset the mileage with the intent to defraud. As long as he was upfront on the sale of the vehicle that the mileage on the odometer was not actual mileage (usually with a sticker in the doorjamb and/or odometer discrepency noted on the title) he would most likely not be afoul of any laws, unless there is a state or local statute specifically prohibiting it. Even then, done to one vehicle, would be highly unlikely criminal charges would be brought, but civil charges would be likely if the new owner found out. Otherwise, owners of most of the cars in magazines like Hot Rod and Car Craft would be in violation if they put in aftermarket guages and didn't change over the mileage, or restored a car and reset the odometer to zero. I doubt your insurance would care unless you got in a wreck and tried to value the vehicle at the wrong mileage for a payout, which would be fraud just like concealing to any other buyer. On the other hand, it does affect the value of the vehicle, and 86k is really good mileage for a 2000, and adds to the value of the vehicle. So basically you would be spending a lot of money and time to lower the value of an already low mileage vehicle to make it appear slightly lower. If it was me I would just be happy having the 86k on it.
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:11 PM
I can confirm it's the BCM that determines what mileage is showing on the cluster.
When I installed A/C I had to use the bcm in order for it to work, Would not kick on the compressor until I swapped the BCM which put my car 50,000 k less. Sunfire was a 2003.
Ended up wrecked the following winter when someone cut it off, got a good valuation for it.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:41 PM
ya on jbodys 99 and up the bcm controls the mileage 95-99 you can roll it back with a power drill if you take the number roll out of the gauge cluster itself
Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:37 PM
best bet? go buy the entire car from the scrapyard and put the motor back in it, and then all the mileage will be lower, and not illegal, but odds are that if someone says it has 40,000 miles on the motor, most times it will have 80,000 miles on the motor.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search