03-up Shift Knob/boot Options - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03-up Shift Knob/boot Options
Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:46 PM
Okay, got my shirt shifter in. Holy crap thats short.
Anyway, it has a chrome knob, and to be honest, I hate it. I hate the way chrome knobs feel.I loved my old carbon fiber knob, but I don't have that anymore.
Now here's a question for those of you that have taken off your reverse lock out: How do you keep the shift boot up against the knob? I have a suede boot, and it's fairly thin. I doubt it will stay up on it's own. It has a tie top, and velcro, so I need something to tie it over.

Based off another thread, I looked at the MOMO knob, but they only list one in red/chrome, and I'm not buying red/chrome, or any red period.
I want black.
I've also looked into skunk2.
Not sure if I can get one from B&M since the shifter is discontinued.

Any other options? I don't want one from Advance. I want to keep it threaded. And I'd like to keep the reverse lock out as well.
Maybe I should just experiment....

Thoughts?

Re: 03-up Shift Knob/boot Options
Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:13 PM
Look into Razo knobs. I have one in mine, and love it. Good quality and threaded, but I believe they only have one that is compatible with the reverse lockout (I removed mine).

Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:51 PM
I kept the knob assembley that you pull up on for the reverse lock out. I just broke the tab off the bottom that keeps you from going into reverse.

You can see in this picture the little tab that comes down and serves as the stop for the reverse lock out. Just snap it off and you're good to go.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:08 PM
^^ I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be doing that.
I have to screw with the shifter cables alignment anyway. I have each gear perfectly fine and I can shift fine, but, I've got the shifter a little further to the right than the left and I'd like it back just a little more in neutral.

Thanks shadowfire, I'll check into the Razo's.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:13 PM
I can't find the Razo one thats compatible with reverse lockout. Hmmm

Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:15 AM
I reused my stock knob (had an aftermarket knob for years but came to the conclusion that the stock knob is so much cleaner looking, lol). I reused the black plastic collar from the stock assembly, trimmed off the tab for the revers lockout, and attached the boot to that. Worked out great IMO.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 7:50 AM
Off topic, but are those boots red line motorsports?
What color leather is the flat one? I've been trying to figure our fi I should go black, or Charcoal and I want it to match the center console.

Also, is your shifter threaded? Is the factory knob threaded?

Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:03 AM
Here is my B&M with Razo knob:

The knob actually has another piece that attaches to the bottom, but I like the looks of it better without.

I believe this is the Razo knob that is compatible with reverse lockout. Clicky

Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:15 AM
Yeah that one you linked to really isn't my style. Plain black round and weighted knobs are what I'm looking for.
I did find a momo knob I like a lot, but at $90 and unsure of whether or not it's threaded has me hesitant to buy it.

In your last post you said yours is threaded, and you removed your reverse lock out. How's your boot staying up? Did you shove it up under the knob? Is that a redline boot too? Is it velcro on top? Or tie?

Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:52 AM
Yeah mine is threaded, weighted, and the quality is really good. The boot stayed up on it's on for the most part, but sometimes you can see the shifter (could be because I removed the bottom piece of the shift knob though). Mine isn't a redline boot. It was made by another company. It is real carbon fiber material, but I've found that it doesn't hold up well to daily driving. Hoping to have new boots made sometime this year.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:31 PM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Off topic, but are those boots red line motorsports?
What color leather is the flat one? I've been trying to figure our fi I should go black, or Charcoal and I want it to match the center console.

Also, is your shifter threaded? Is the factory knob threaded?

No, I actually got both boots from an ebay vendor who makes them with any leather combo you want. Mine are carbon fiber vinyl/satin black leather. I think they were like $30 shipped, excellent fit. If you're interested I can look up the vendor name.

My shifter is threaded (its a B&M)..the stock knob is just push on. The threads on the shifter are slightly larger than the cut out for the knob, so it actually makes for a nice secure mount.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:43 PM
Matt please post a link those shift boots look awsome

Modding my j since I found the org
Monday, March 07, 2011 1:44 PM
I just checked on ebay, I can't find the seller. I'll have to see if I can find my shipping invoice, should have their phone number (though I bought these like a year ago, so who knows...)

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:54 PM
Well, I took off the reverse lockout and for now anyway, I have the boot tucked up nicely under the chrome knob. Fits in there rather well, and stays pretty good.

Now I can get any knob, instead of just the reverse knobs. Means i can actually find something I like.

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:55 PM
Thanks matt.

Modding my j since I found the org
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:24 AM
why hasnt anyone tried twm's cobalt shifter? from the looks of it itll work in 02+ cavs because they use the same shifter base with only some slight differences were it bolts to the floor of the car.

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/chevroletshortshifters/chevroletcobaltshortshifters.htm not to mention they have some way better shift knob options.

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 9:27 AM
yea its a lil more pricey then the b&m but you get the shifter+ knob+ better base bushings.

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276
Tuesday, March 08, 2011 1:49 PM
Sunfiretun3r wrote:Well, I took off the reverse lockout and for now anyway, I have the boot tucked up nicely under the chrome knob. Fits in there rather well, and stays pretty good.

Now I can get any knob, instead of just the reverse knobs. Means i can actually find something I like.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search