Need someone who knows - Rear Deck/Dash - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need someone who knows - Rear Deck/Dash
Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:55 AM
Alright, Does anyone know for fact that the rear decks in a coupe and sedan are different? This is for a 03. I know they changed the rear decks in 03 due to the 60/40 split as well as the child restraints. Now i got a graphite rear deck with 3rd brake light and once it came in I noticed the light housing and the deck piece itself had "Sedan" on it. I was looking at the one in my car and they look the same, length wise and all. Kind of hard to measure up to the glass though to make be accurate.. The only thing i'm thinking different is the sedan rear windows have a greater angle then the coupes so maybe the light wont fit up to the glass? But then looking at the light housing, it "sinks" into the metal frame there a bit and almost looks like it would still work. But im skeptical as to why they would then mark them "SEDAN"

I'm really not wanting someone to say "yeah i think you right" or any of that. I want to know if anyone actually knows they are different. I was going to just pull the interior this morning and try it but I would have to pull it out again when my EDFC gets here so I figured i'd wait till then. More just kind of curious now, opposed to waiting to find out. I'd rather be disappointed now lol. Worst case i'm out $20.

Re: Need someone who knows - Rear Deck/Dash
Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:45 AM
im not sure about your car i assume its the same but the back deck lid piece should be the same i have a piece from a sunfire coupe and it fit perfectly in my four door cav. Now mine doesnt have the high mount window light but im sure it should still work though, only way to know is to try it there easy to switch out so shouldnt be much of a hassle.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:54 PM
On mine 99 year coupe. The sedan light wont work. The angle on the sedan window is different. You can use the red part of the housing but the part that sits against the window needs to be for a 2 door. Also again on mine, the sedan and coupe decks are different. The sedan one is slightly wider. I never tried to fit it in mine but I set them both together and you could tell the sedan one was wider.

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Saturday, February 19, 2011 4:54 PM
sik96eco wrote:im not sure about your car i assume its the same but the back deck lid piece should be the same i have a piece from a sunfire coupe and it fit perfectly in my four door cav. Now mine doesnt have the high mount window light but im sure it should still work though, only way to know is to try it there easy to switch out so shouldnt be much of a hassle.

good to know, i tried measuring the damn thing and as far as i could measure it was the same but the window and interior panels made it difficult to be accurate. So i was pretty sure im just going to have to try it and find out.

onecleancavy wrote:On mine 99 year coupe. The sedan light wont work. The angle on the sedan window is different. You can use the red part of the housing but the part that sits against the window needs to be for a 2 door. Also again on mine, the sedan and coupe decks are different. The sedan one is slightly wider. I never tried to fit it in mine but I set them both together and you could tell the sedan one was wider.

See that is what i was figuring, I know the red lens is the same and that it would probably be the grey part that is actually marked "Sedan", however im still curious if the interior panel will be different then too. I know ive heard the older ones it does matter if it was 2 or 4 door but i know GM changed the rear deck in terms of speaker location and the child restraints and 60/40 split seat and am HOPING they decided to make the sedans and coupe use the same parts, for my sake so this piece works, for their sake to save some money. I tried looking up the part number on the grey piece and couldnt pull up anything either

hoping someone else can chime in, if not I will be sure to post the final verdict when the time comes for those curious or to search in the future i guess.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:51 AM
The actual cardboard deck (the fabric wrapped piece that covers the speakers) are interchangeable, but the plastic housing for the 3rd brake light is not. My coupe has the sedan deck in it, I originally tried the 3rd brake light from a sedan, but it did not fit due to the slope of the rear window being different in sedans and coupes.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:29 AM
I knew I liked you matt from the first time i seen you cutting up a IF front for 03 lol.
good deal, so even though the housing is different it doesn't matter which deck piece you use? because i noticed the housing wraps around the edge of the deck, that doesn't effect anything?

Don't happen to have the part number on the coupe plastic piece do ya? I went on gm parts direct and entered the sedan part number and it didnt pull anything up, and then normally you can just increase or decrease the part number by 1 to get like the coupe or left compared to right on parts, but had no luck.

If anything i'll just call our GM distributor monday and see what I can get, hoping they still even make that plastic piece or have one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

I'm glad to hear it though, the interior deck piece was the hardest part to find, and i already modified the red lens piece. So i guess i just that plastic piece for coupe and im good then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:36 AM

Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:43 PM
I was wondering the differences in them. I need to get a rear deck for my 03 Sunfire coupe that has the 3rd brake light.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:22 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:I knew I liked you matt from the first time i seen you cutting up a IF front for 03 lol.
good deal, so even though the housing is different it doesn't matter which deck piece you use? because i noticed the housing wraps around the edge of the deck, that doesn't effect anything?

Don't happen to have the part number on the coupe plastic piece do ya? I went on gm parts direct and entered the sedan part number and it didnt pull anything up, and then normally you can just increase or decrease the part number by 1 to get like the coupe or left compared to right on parts, but had no luck.

If anything i'll just call our GM distributor monday and see what I can get, hoping they still even make that plastic piece or have one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

I'm glad to hear it though, the interior deck piece was the hardest part to find, and i already modified the red lens piece. So i guess i just that plastic piece for coupe and im good then.

Correct, it's just the housing. The bottom of the rear window has the same curve from side to side in both coupes and sedans...its the slope of the plastic housing that differs.

I don't know the part number off the top of my head, but I may actually have one sitting around in my piles of stock parts. If that's the case, and you want it, it's all yours. Let me know if you'd want it and I'll dig around my parts when I can.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:55 PM
No worries, Ordered one from GM yesterday. Waiting for a call to say they actually don't have one anywhere but if that happens ill be sure to let you know lol.

Thanks for the help man.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:40 AM
why are you so adamant on a 3rd brake light?

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:39 AM

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:02 PM
Yeah Im gonna need one for when i remove my spoiler. Too many idiots on the road not paying enough attention and i always ere on the side of caution. do you happen to have the part# handy?
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:34 PM
Well i got the coupe brake light today, but it does not fit on the sedan rear deck piece. it sticks out about 2" further then the deck peice when you put it on it. so that tell me the deck peice goes back further on coupes there for the sedan deck will not work.

guess it doesn't matter too much now though. just totaled the car coming home from work.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:23 PM
^^WHAAAAA? What happened?

Monday, March 14, 2011 11:25 AM
onecleancavy wrote:On mine 99 year coupe. The sedan light wont work. The angle on the sedan window is different. You can use the red part of the housing but the part that sits against the window needs to be for a 2 door. Also again on mine, the sedan and coupe decks are different. The sedan one is slightly wider. I never tried to fit it in mine but I set them both together and you could tell the sedan one was wider.

my 99 has a rear deck out of a 98 sunfire 4 door

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:31 PM
It is close, but not exact due to the different rear window shape. I saved the deck from my sedan to use and didn't want to mess with gaps since I have no tint yet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search