Installing 4 or 5 point racing harness ... - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing 4 or 5 point racing harness ...
Monday, March 28, 2011 10:02 AM
I am interested in putting a 4 or 5 point seat belt harness in my 1998 Z24 cavalier, I already have APC Racing Bucket seats, and I am looking to complete it with these harnesses. Is there a way to SAFELY install these without a harness bar? I value the use of my back seat, and really am not looking to spend the money on a harness bar. Am I asking too much or is there a safe affordable way to do this?

"Livin' Dream, Dyin Breed"

Re: Installing 4 or 5 point racing harness ...
Monday, March 28, 2011 10:12 AM
The reason they are not safe is because in a rollover you need to be able to lean out of the way because the roof will collapse. If you have a roll bar, you can safely use 5-point straps because the roof won't cave in when you roll.

Monday, March 28, 2011 10:27 AM
bradsk88 wrote:The reason they are not safe is because in a rollover you need to be able to lean out of the way because the roof will collapse. If you have a roll bar, you can safely use 5-point straps because the roof won't cave in when you roll.

I agree. If you don't have a rollcage, you need that mobility in a crash, and a harness is designed to do the opposite.

The ONLY 5-point harness that should be in a vehicle unequipped with a rollcage is a baby seat

Monday, March 28, 2011 10:27 AM
4-5 point only with a roll bar minimum. A cage would be better.

A harness bar with a 4-5 point is a very bad idea.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 28, 2011 11:58 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate it!

"Livin' Dream, Dyin Breed"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search