Gauging interest on custom painted dash bezels - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauging interest on custom painted dash bezels
Monday, March 28, 2011 7:08 PM
I've Been kicking around this idea a little bit lately and wanted to see if there was any interest on this. I'm talking about custom painted dash bezels. This would be the piece that goes around the gauges and radio stuff on a cavalier. Also the piece that goes around the radio and hvac unit on a sunfire would be included in this.

I'm not talking about a scuff and spray bomb job. I'm talking about sanding these bezels down smooth, priming them, blocking them out, and a base color of your choice and then of course cleared. When finished they would be as smooth as the finish on your car. The paint is RM Diamont from BASF. Some of the best automotive paint on the market.

I'd like to get 10 people rounded up for this to do a group purchase. Once I see there is enough interest I'll go through the proper channels to set it up. Then It would be the first ten people who would get in on this. I don't want to take any more than ten for the first go around. If it shows enough success I'll run it again in the future.

Prices would be as follows. If I can get ten people it would be $100. That includes what I mentioned earlier and shipping it back to you. Of course depending on the color (say if its red), it would be maybe $10-$15 more. Colors like red or yellow cost a lot more. $100 may seem a little steep but for the price of the paint id have to order for each job, plus the primer , clear coat, and my time alone... $100 isn't bad. All you have to do is ship your bezel to me and let me know what color.

Now... with all that said, if you guys want to start a list with your names, whether its a cavalier or sunfire, and what color and paint code if possible

Would be cool to see some interest on this. Ill post a pic of mine tomorrow to give you an example.

Re: Gauging interest on custom painted dash bezels
Monday, March 28, 2011 7:20 PM
Not to discourage you (because I think it is a great idea for those who don't have the skills/resources to do this themselves), I think $100 is steep, and I say that as a bodyman. I've been doing bezels with glassed gauges, etc painted for 100-125 + shipping.
Again, not knocking your idea, just food for thought...

Edit: maybe look into using slighty less expensie brands like nason or entry level ppg, and maybe evercoat's g2 or featherfill primers. In all honesty these don't need to hold up to weathering/elements so you can cut some costs on supplies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 28, 2011 7:25 PM

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:44 AM
With a bit cheaper of a price i could be talked into this.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:36 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:Not to discourage you (because I think it is a great idea for those who don't have the skills/resources to do this themselves), I think $100 is steep, and I say that as a bodyman. I've been doing bezels with glassed gauges, etc painted for 100-125 + shipping.
Again, not knocking your idea, just food for thought...

Edit: maybe look into using slighty less expensie brands like nason or entry level ppg, and maybe evercoat's g2 or featherfill primers. In all honesty these don't need to hold up to weathering/elements so you can cut some costs on supplies

^^ he's right.

I'll Pm you

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:34 PM
I want a glassed bezel...if you would consider making glassed ones for that price or slightly over id do it, cause i really am not looking forward to me doing it myself lol

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:20 AM
wow bunch of cheap asses here as usual....

$100 is CHEAP for sure... Take it to a shop and you will get significantly more expensive. A lot of labor goes into them.... sanding, painting, more sanding, sanding.... then the prep for paint and prep for everything else.... its not a 5 minute job. not to mention him taking a lot of time to ensure they are perfect. Any form of paint is not going to be $5 like everyone wants.

Hell most shops charge $30-35 an hour. You are looking at EASY over 2 hours. Then figure in supplies needed and what not...

stop being cheap and pay for good work....

Sunday, April 17, 2011 4:42 AM
I'm with Vince on this. $100 is not bad for quality work.

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:08 AM
think the responce should be $100 is to expensive for most j-body owners to pay for .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 18, 2011 5:10 AM
Mike wrote:I'm with Vince on this. $100 is not bad for quality work.

this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:05 PM
sndsgood wrote:think the responce should be $100 is to expensive for most j-body owners to pay for .

Yup, thats the point I was getting at.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search