Reverse lockout on stock shifter - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Reverse lockout on stock shifter
Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:54 PM
so my 00 silver base model 2.2 was totaled on monday, fun. I'm picking up a black 5-speed 02 z24 this weekend. I was wondering what the deal is with the reverse lockout, because i wanna run an aftermarket shift knob and i don't wanna have to deal with the lockout. Is there a way to get rid of that without having to get a short shifter? because i can't find the b&m short shifter anywhere.

Re: Reverse lockout on stock shifter
Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:15 PM
Momo makes a few very nice shift knobs that allow you to retain the reverse lock out feature, you should check them out. Otherwise all you do is pull the old knob off and slide the lock out collar off. Simple as that

I'm getting a momo knob myself because I actually like the idea of having that lock out there. cheap insurance that i dont kill my transmission

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:59 PM
Oh really? I didn't think it was that simple lol. The only reason i'm really getting another cav is i have some extra wheels and stuff from my old one, and i'm more of a toyota guy but i can't afford an ae86 nor do i want one until i have a job that i can afford to keep fixing @!#$ that goes wrong lol. i was gonna get one of these bad boys and i realized you can't use them with the lockout.
http://www.itsproper.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/127black_11.jpg

I might check those momo knobs out though, thanks a lot man!
Friday, February 25, 2011 7:45 AM
Yeah once you get the knob off, you can just take the lockout off. If you are looking for a threaded shift knob that fits I have a Greddy weighted knob id sell you for 20 bucks. This thing is HEAVY. Heres a link to the same one http://www.shopresponse.com/greddy_counter_weight_shift_knob.html

CAR IS FOR SALE...Saab Kit, GM Reflash, 10 psi
Friday, February 25, 2011 7:05 PM
I got one from advance autoparts ya know the ones with the damn leds well I took them out . Put it on and kept my reverse lock out not bad for 15 bucks.
Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:15 AM
Its simple just pull off the stock knob, take off the lockout collar, put stock knob back on or replace with after market knob of choice, profit.

CarDomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3828276
Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:57 PM
Also, is the shifter threaded? i just looked on the wildweasel site and he said the stock knob isn't threaded and it's press fitted so it just pulls off?
Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:05 AM
Also, where can i buy a b&m short shifter when i decide to put that in?
Sunday, February 27, 2011 2:20 AM
meckster wrote:Momo makes a few very nice shift knobs that allow you to retain the reverse lock out feature, you should check them out. Otherwise all you do is pull the old knob off and slide the lock out collar off. Simple as that

I'm getting a momo knob myself because I actually like the idea of having that lock out there. cheap insurance that i dont kill my transmission

the transmission wont shift into reverse while moving forward. kind of like how it wont get into first unless you are under 15mph or whatever. and if you can shift into reverse while you are driving, you have more problems than the trans haha.

i personally have never heard of anyone shifting into reverse while driving like that. but thats just me. i took mine off and am glad i did. so much nicer and easier.

Monday, February 28, 2011 5:11 AM
Lol alright so the shifter isn't threaded.

So wheres a good place to order a bm short throw?
Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:56 AM
hmmm, i have a stock knob in mine now and its threaded.

CAR IS FOR SALE...Saab Kit, GM Reflash, 10 psi

Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:26 PM
Mines that silly push on crap lol, 03-05 mightbe different?

But seriously im looking for a b&m short shifter lol.
Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:22 PM
Theyve been discontinued last I heard.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:40 PM
Well, that's unfortunate. looks like i'm stuck threading my stock shifter.
Friday, March 11, 2011 1:55 PM
The knock-off short shutters are pretty decent. I've had one on my car for years. And they are threaded. M12X1.25 thread pitch. I just put one in my friends Cobalt last night.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:58 PM
Also, the hole on the bottom of the stock knob is small enough that you can thread it onto the aftermarket shifters and keep a factory look as well.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:43 PM
the knock of short throws are alright, except the one i got the ball was like 1/8" smaller than stock so it wobbled a bit in the bracket, but other than that it was fine, pain to install though, i'm probably just going to cut mine down an inch or 2 so i dont have to mess with the cables again

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Saturday, March 19, 2011 6:01 PM
What about the fidanza shifters? Saw them on OEM site. I'm sure the bm's are better but anyone have experience with these? Also what are the knock off ones, like ebay?
Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:18 PM
bump, any short shifter i can get that's not used?
Friday, April 15, 2011 7:54 PM
i bought mine from cosmoracing for like 60 new had it on for a year now no problems yet
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:28 AM
ultrarev.com has the 00+ ralco short shifter for like $25, there are a couple people here on the org with them and haven't had issues. I have one sitting on my bench waiting to be installed. Just need to decide what shift knob I'm using.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search