automatic short shifter? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
automatic short shifter?
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:38 PM
i know it would only be for looks but would i have to worry about anything if i shorten it?

02 Cavalier sedan ECOTEC N/A being built
04 Malibu ECOTEC S/C planned

Re: automatic short shifter?
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:44 PM
just make sure you dont go too short, make sure it can go in all the gears. (on my '02 sunfire if it was too short, id've not been able to use 2 or 1)

and be careful not to damage the yellow button rod,

otherwise, you should be good to go
Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:47 PM
i was planning on cutting as short as i can, so its JUST long enough to fit my shift knob back on

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:34 PM
You won't be able to shorten it any more than 2" and still have it work properly.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:17 PM
a related question..

has anyone done this to their shifter that has the ETS button on it? I have a 99 Sunfire GT and my ETS on/off control is there. I want to do this mod but quite hesitant because of the ETS control. Thanks.
Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:32 PM
i shortened it 2.5 " and it still works fineif i had a camera i would post pics

Saturday, September 22, 2007 5:49 PM
your ets should just be two wires basically a power and ground. and if your shortening it just be careful not to cut the wires, and if you do, just solder then and heatshrink them back together.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:09 PM
on a side note, i have one for sale that i shortend if anybody is interested just pm me

it was a project and isnt as simple as just lobbing off 2" and calling it a day, the yellow plastic rod (the the button in the shift knob pushes down) has got to be the correct length above the steel shaft otherwise it will not work.

i cut mine to use in conjunction with an 05 malibu t-handle knob, and i had an 03-05 lss leather wrapped t-handle i wanted to use, well little did i know that the leather one was acctually WAY taller and goes down around the shaft much more, so i cut it way to much and it didnt work the way i had planned.

i put it on my stocker and bought a 5spd shifter bezel with the boot and you dont see any of the shaft now and it acctually looks shortend anyways.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:13 PM
what i did was push the yellow rod down as far as i could then cut it while it was pushed in

02 Cavalier sedan ECOTEC special plans ahead
04 Malibu classic ECOTEC now the daily driver

ECOTEC Cavalier 13's coming summer 2008
Monday, September 24, 2007 7:09 AM
you can cut it a little bit, just like everyone said measure 3 times and cut once...if you cut it too low you are in a bit of a pickle.

for the ETS button, you can remove it and wire it up to another switch if you'd like. What I did was re-wire mine to another switch so all the switches in my car matched.

Monday, September 24, 2007 9:42 AM
z yaaaa wrote:it was a project and isnt as simple as just lobbing off 2" and calling it a day, the yellow plastic rod (the the button in the shift knob pushes down) has got to be the correct length above the steel shaft otherwise it will not work..

cut the yellow rod equal to what you cut the steel shaft. done. not that tough

If you have CF engine bay pieces, SELL THEM TO ME!

Built Not Bought

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:51 PM
^^^What Joey said,but you can also disable the neutral saftey switch very easily,although not recommended.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:32 AM
Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:it was a project and isnt as simple as just lobbing off 2" and calling it a day, the yellow plastic rod (the the button in the shift knob pushes down) has got to be the correct length above the steel shaft otherwise it will not work..

cut the yellow rod equal to what you cut the steel shaft. done. not that tough

not as simple as that either, the yellow shaft has these 'nubs' all way around it in a little section of it once u get down far enough that you need to cut off as well otherwise it will not go down correctly, idk it was just a pita for me to do, i also cut it down WAY to much so thats why it was a problem for me.

Monday, May 02, 2011 6:37 PM
so the button u push in on in a automatic shifer is the rod that its hitting acrossse .
and all u need to do is push it down then cut it off
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 5:24 AM
the button pushed down on the yellow plastic rod in the center of the shaft. it needs to sit up higher then the mettle rod. so if you cut an inch off of the metal rod. then cut an inch off the plastic yellow rod in the center.

and wow back from the dead.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 6:01 AM
2" shorter is the most you can cut off without messing with other things. You still need to cut the yellow inner rod as well.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:58 AM
I've shortened mine. long time ago, used a pipe cutter. Never had problems, but you can't go to low as stated.

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:06 PM
I Shortened mine with a pipe cutter, and a dermal.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search