E-brake gripper. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
E-brake gripper.
Monday, July 04, 2011 11:44 PM
Ok.This might be stupid and it might not be.i dont have the plastic handle for my 1999 pontiac sunfire and i thought about making one.I was planning on making one out of bondo,but i didnt know if it would be strong enough to hold.Does anyone have any good tips beside fiberglassing.i want to make my own e brake handle just so i can have something differnt.i was wondering if i made it out of bondo and then sanded it smooth and then sprayed itprimarand sanded it againand then sprayedit silver and wetsanded it and sprayed the clear ifwould be strongenough andnot fall apartthe first i use it?please reply andif you dont want to help and youwanna call it stupid then dontbother replying.thanks and thanks to those who will help.

Re: E-brake gripper.
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:34 AM
Yup just wrap it in bondo, it'll be fine. It's probably easiest to mix the hardener into the can of bondo, then just stick the whole can over the ebrake lever til the bondo hardens, pull off the can and sand away. And don't worry, bondo dust is SUPER easy to clean off seats and carpet so dont worry about the mess. And despite what people tell you, don't worry about wearing a dust mask, those are for pussies.

You should also look into a space bar, using one on the computer will actually help you mod your car better. Fact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 05, 2011 1:36 AM

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:34 AM
Everything EVILution said is 100% true.

________________________________________.
Still not low enough for a signature.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 2:35 PM
Twenty4z wrote:Everything EVILution said is 100% true.
lol

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 3:55 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:Yup just wrap it in bondo, it'll be fine. It's probably easiest to mix the hardener into the can of bondo, then just stick the whole can over the ebrake lever til the bondo hardens, pull off the can and sand away. And don't worry, bondo dust is SUPER easy to clean off seats and carpet so dont worry about the mess. And despite what people tell you, don't worry about wearing a dust mask, those are for pussies.

You should also look into a space bar, using one on the computer will actually help you mod your car better. Fact.

lol, so much awesome

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:02 PM
aluminum.

/thread

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:31 PM
No, they all have it wrong, the best way would be to cover it all with molten glass, then when it hardens you would have some pretty cool designs and it would be a one off for sure!

Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:27 AM
In all seriousness.... just no. Goto the junk yard and pick up a handle.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:09 AM
how hard would it be to install one of the universal automatic levers to a manual brake?

Modding my j since I found the org
Friday, July 08, 2011 9:07 PM
nope.think im gonna use bondo.then getit somewhat smooth andthengo over it with fiberglass.
Saturday, July 09, 2011 7:51 AM
What's the point in asking for advice, if you're not going to take it?

Kids these days

Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:18 AM
bond0 = worst idea

why not just install an aftermarket ebrake handle????

Saturday, July 09, 2011 8:58 AM
Brandon Westerfield wrote:nope.think im gonna use bondo.then getit somewhat smooth andthengo over it with fiberglass.

I can't wait to see this. I have a face palm on stand by for this piece of work...

Saturday, July 09, 2011 1:38 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:bond0 = worst idea

why not just install an aftermarket ebrake handle????

Too expensive.........

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:52 AM
Oh this is ganna be good...

Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:28 PM
gonna get a aftermarket one.maby find one on some honda thats been riced out setting in the junkyard.
Monday, July 11, 2011 4:55 PM
Brandon Westerfield wrote:gonna get a aftermarket one.maby find one on some honda thats been riced out setting in the junkyard.

You should just get a nice leather wrapped one out of a Sunfire GT. OEM is the way to go !

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:04 AM
Aftermarket handles do NOT fit on J-body ebrakes. Why? 'cuz the base handle tat you wrap the cover on is CURVED (@!#$ GM). I had a momo interior on my old cavi and the e-brake handle was THE hardest thing to put on. Had to machine off several sections to make it fit right. Just get te leather OEM one dude.

On that note, can someone please tell me how to remove the stock handle WITHOUT using a dremmel? LOL
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:01 AM
How is the factory one removed?

Greater Moncton Sport Compact Club - Facebook - Youtube
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:11 AM
J TO ENVY wrote:
Brandon Westerfield wrote:gonna get a aftermarket one.maby find one on some honda thats been riced out setting in the junkyard.

You should just get a nice leather wrapped one out of a Sunfire GT. OEM is the way to go !

what years is that out of ?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:28 AM
I would definitely NOT use bondo. First reason because the release would never work right, second because it would eventually crack to peices in your hand. I actually cracked my original handle off after trying to bend the handle to a better position. DEFINITELY STAY STOCK. Like these guys said, if you want some thing nice go get a oem leather sunfire one from the j-yard. DO NOT USE BONDO!!! Chances are the stock one would be cheaper than the bondo sandpaper and paint in the long run.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:54 PM
MonctonCavi (OneNickyG) wrote:How is the factory one removed?

Remove the four bolts that hold down the entire assembly, then you have to pop the cable out of place which is the most annoying and difficult part. It's really not that hard though.

the Jew wrote:what years is that out of ?

Any 1995 - 2002 Sunfire GT will have the leather wrapped e-brake handle .

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:09 PM
No I mean the handle peice itself. The plastic/leather peice. I already know how to take the entire handle out I did a full interior swap.

Greater Moncton Sport Compact Club - Facebook - Youtube
Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:05 PM
MonctonCavi (OneNickyG) wrote:No I mean the handle peice itself. The plastic/leather peice. I already know how to take the entire handle out I did a full interior swap.

Next time be more specific ! LOL!

I think most people just use a dremel to remove it.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 7:14 PM
Make your handle out of bondo, then post pics.

thx

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search