cobalt rear seat how-to (basic) - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cobalt rear seat how-to (basic)
Friday, July 15, 2011 7:05 PM
ok guys i fell in love with cobalt rear seats, so here's my small adventure into getting them into my 04 coupe.

here's the side lug for the cobalt seat.

its a much bigger size than the jbody lug.

luckily, both lugs are the same thread size, so just swap the lugs from the jbody rear seats to the cobalt seats.

there are five major issues with the cobalt rear seats.

the seat back is a bit narrower than stock, so that means the outer brackets on the seat back frame need to be ground off and re-welded with a narrower dimension. Also, the cobalt seats are 60/40 split, while the jbody is the opposite... 40/60 split. so we need to move the center pivot in order to accomodate this.

one other issue with the seat backs is they are shorter than jbody seats, so they sit a bit lower than the stock ones do and expose a bit of the rear deck cover (but not much). I've slotted the holes in order to raise the seat back up as high as I can, but it could still stand to be raised a bit more.. an issue I'm still working on.

the seat bench is narrower than the stock jbody seat, and is also more plush. so some of the foam underneath the bottom in the center needs to be removed in order to better accomodate the rear 'hump' in the middle of the back seat. Also the seat backs being too low makes it almost impossible to get the rear bench underneath them, so raising the seat back higher is almost a necessity in order to get the bench to fit properly (again, a problem I'm still working on).

the fifth problem is the cobalt latches are on the outer edge of the seat back and vertical as opposed near the center of the seat back and horizontal. this is also an issue I'm still addressing.

here, I am beginning to remove the weld on the center bracket in order to relocate it to flip the 40/60 split to 60/40

here are the outer brackets being ground free of the frame

one side free

cleaned up a bit

mocking up the brackets on the seats and centering on the frame

once the edges were welded, I positioned the center bracket where it needed to be, clamped it in place and welded that

and a quick look at the semi-finished product

matching fronts

questions/comments

Re: cobalt rear seat how-to (basic)
Friday, July 15, 2011 7:17 PM
I WANT!!!! Awesome work as always PJ!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, July 15, 2011 7:30 PM
Your car is turning into a Cobalt...

Like it though! Nice stuff!

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Friday, July 15, 2011 8:52 PM
do they sit lower than the j's? (i mean the headrest top area) they look good and the fab work was top quality, but for some reason they just look off back there. it's an obvious improvement over the j seats, but they just "look" off for some reason.

Friday, July 15, 2011 10:54 PM
blucavvy wrote:do they sit lower than the j's? (i mean the headrest top area) they look good and the fab work was top quality, but for some reason they just look off back there. it's an obvious improvement over the j seats, but they just "look" off for some reason.

DaFlyinSkwirl wrote:one other issue with the seat backs is they are shorter than jbody seats, so they sit a bit lower than the stock ones do and expose a bit of the rear deck cover (but not much). I've slotted the holes in order to raise the seat back up as high as I can, but it could still stand to be raised a bit more.. an issue I'm still working on.

the seat bench is narrower than the stock jbody seat, and is also more plush. so some of the foam underneath the bottom in the center needs to be removed in order to better accomodate the rear 'hump' in the middle of the back seat. Also the seat backs being too low makes it almost impossible to get the rear bench underneath them, so raising the seat back higher is almost a necessity in order to get the bench to fit properly (again, a problem I'm still working on).

I write to explain stuff.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:11 AM
Looks Great,Nice work..

I also am wondering how hard is the front seat swap,Or did I miss a post about that..Thxs
Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:28 AM
Impressive work, looks sharp!
Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:02 AM
nice work looks great, does any one know if theirs been a cavalier with bucket seats in the back? the cobalt rear looks sexy!
Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:53 AM
Great work pj now make me a set

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:09 AM
yeahidriveacavalier wrote:nice work looks great, does any one know if theirs been a cavalier with bucket seats in the back? the cobalt rear looks sexy!

Ya mine use to, that is when ian lacey owned it.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:57 AM
Lol I fail

Saturday, July 16, 2011 11:58 AM
Amazing
Saturday, July 16, 2011 5:40 PM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:
yeahidriveacavalier wrote:nice work looks great, does any one know if theirs been a cavalier with bucket seats in the back? the cobalt rear looks sexy!

Ya mine use to, that is when ian lacey owned it.

what kind of seats did you use for the rear buckets. Oh and once again about the main post looks sweet may end up doing this
Saturday, July 16, 2011 7:56 PM
wow that's nice
Sunday, July 17, 2011 8:33 AM
now you just need to get rid of the tan
Monday, July 18, 2011 1:28 PM
they look nice and stock once finished. A+!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:33 AM
Looks great!

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:17 PM
Sweet! Looks good and nice work!

99 SUNFIRE COUPE, 2.2L AUTO, WHITE.
BONE STOCK...............FOR NOW.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:10 AM
Honestly, I like how the sit slightly lower, gives a nice "step" from the backseat to the rear dash pad.
Very nice.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:09 PM
so how much do you want to setup another set same color for my arrival blue 04 2dr?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:20 PM
whats a 40/60 split ?????

Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:01 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote:whats a 40/60 split ?????

is this sarcasm?

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:44 PM
Looks great, good job man. Knowing how to fabricate like that helps a lot.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:21 AM
very cool PJ

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:36 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:
scott (section8cav) wrote:whats a 40/60 split ?????

is this sarcasm?

I'm thinking that he is not familiar that the 03+ had the split rear seat.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search