Sunroof problems~ - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunroof problems~
Monday, May 21, 2012 4:54 PM
Hello all , I seem to have a sunroof that only likes to open if its like really really warm out and its been sitting in the sun.If its remotely cold out..say below 50-60 out it may move and may not, over 70 and it may go a couple inches but after driving it it may or may not close all the way and if it does it wont open back up nearly as far. I see in posts here that theres a spot for an allen or torx bit to close it and im wondering if theres any way to put a small discrete hole in the headliner to access that or am i stuck dropping the headliner.
Kinda curious if any have had same issue and know exactly whats causing it / whats needed to fix, the car did sit for like 6 yrs b4 i got it ....i did try a couple squirts of some of that white lithium grease on the tracks as much as i could see but no change.
Any help would be greatly appreciated : )

Re: Sunroof problems~
Monday, May 21, 2012 5:30 PM
Chances are the sunroof motor just needs to be swapped out.

Taking the headliner out isn't hard. Just take your time. It'd just be too hard to work on it with the headliner in place.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:44 PM
There is a green plastic cam that runs in front of two micro switches(position sensors), the rivets that hold the switched to the mount loosen over time. The fix will literally take 10 seconds and you do not have to fully remove your headliner.

All you have to do is pull the rubber surround away from the sunroof interior and pull down on the headliner(without creasing/bending) where the motor is mounted(center of sunroof). Grip the micro switch and it's mount and bend it upwards very slightly(may take decent force and may require a slight, ever so slight visual bend in the metal depending on how weak the rivets are.). This will remake the contact of the micro switches to the cam. Once the sunroof knows where the glass is again, it will resume normal operation.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous

I don't need to be dead to donate my organ.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:32 PM
Sweet will definitely give that a try Joshua, really was hoping it was not gonna involve motor replacement...as it's acting the opposite of my dieing PW motor,would only work if it was cold.
Taking the headliner out is in the future most likely as Tan just isn't doing it for me but wanting to hold off till i can find a darker one as opposed to painting / dyeing.
..oh on the power windows...replaced my motor np but noticed in the directions it warned of an assist spring id have to lock into place somehow but i saw no spring...there was a slot for it to go but no sign it had ever been there...?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:46 PM
In a Man-ly mechanical way i sorta love you Josh...not able to push it up like you were talking..or just cant see where the mounting point/ rivets are but by applying a lil pressure up on that piece it works perfect. For now i may go with my discretely placed hole below that spot until i find another headliner and take this one out but thank you so much this has been driving me nuts!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search