dye or fabric? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dye or fabric?
Monday, May 14, 2012 7:58 PM
U want to redo my headliner but really REALLY don't want it to sag down the road so would the fabric spray paint be better then re-covering it?

Re: dye or fabric?
Monday, May 14, 2012 8:53 PM
What color do you want?

Dye is better for anti-sag. But if you use a powerful enough glue and a light enough fabric there shouldn't be an issue.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:12 AM
I want black. I re did my doors in suede with scotch 77 adhesive.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:32 AM
It took me a lot more dye than I thought it would and it did not keep the texture soft. Instead it was rather rough, sort of like putting gel in hair. That may have been a consequence of using so much. It looks fantastic though.

I used a few cans of this:

Simply Spray Upholstery Fabric Paint Midnite Black

If you have any rubber or plastic (such as the lining around a sunroof) you'll need:

SEM Paints (SEM17083) Classic Coat Dark Graphite
I used this on the rubber around my sunroof. I also used it to restore interior parts I painted red back to factory color when I grew out of that phase. Both came out great.

I have a pic of the finished product here:
Click me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:33 AM

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:43 AM
I don't want to loose the texture of the fabric... :/ I might end up redoing it. Any recomendation on adhesives?
Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:07 AM
You can get black factory headliners.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:44 PM
True. I'll have to go looking for one. Still wondering about the adhesive I should use If I redo mine.
Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:43 AM
96-Z.24 wrote:I don't want to loose the texture of the fabric... :/ I might end up redoing it. Any recomendation on adhesives?

who cares, how often do you touch your headliner? I painted mine black with black fabric paint, turned out great, I love the look. Sure I wish it didnt feel crusty but it doesnt flake and looks fantastic. Also. I just sprayed right over the plastic clips (and dome light buttons + roof compartment depending on your headliner) with the fabric paint and it stuck with no issue and matched perfectly to the rest of the headliner. Its been over a year going from -40 to +40 C and its not fading, flaking or peeling.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search