Steering wheel side to side movement - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering wheel side to side movement
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:03 PM
I'm in Virginia, and went to get my car inspected and it's failing the safety inspection because the steering wheel has side to side movement in it. I took the covers off, and it doesn't look like the movement goes too deep. What I mean by that is the main column doesn't move at all. There seems to be a joint where the tilt function is, and it seems to move side to side there. Also, the tilt function still 100% works.
Any ideas? It's a 1995 Sunfire.
Here's a video to show what i mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXC6xvynGrI

Re: Steering wheel side to side movement
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:29 PM
There are 2 pins at the pivot point, those pins have clips on the back side. One of the clips has came off letting the pin work out slightly.

Happened to me

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:55 PM
Are the pins the two black circle items on the left and right in the video?? They looked flush, but i'll take a second look for some pins.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:35 PM
Are the pins what are numbered 25 in this photo?
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=385568

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:03 AM
Yep, that's them

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:55 PM
I have minor play in my 03 lss. Do you think it could be the same thing? I haven't taken the time too look at it yet, but if that's a possibility then I'm just gonna go knock that out.
Sunday, August 05, 2012 7:20 AM
I wasn't able to remove those circular items that hold the pieces together. Plus, they looked to be all the way screwed in, (not loose). They looked like that needed some special tool to remove. They didn't have a socket, or hex, or torx, or anything i've ever used. It looked like a threaded hold, and you would put a long screw rod, or something in it, and maybe pull?? not sure.
Anyways, I took the car to a local GM dealer to have them fix it. Well, first, the parts are discontinued. So.... they said they would get a salvage unit to replace it. 1st salvage unit was worse than my steering wheel, 2nd was a little better, but not perfect, and wouldn't pass the VA state safety inspection. So, the service rep asked if a non-tilt unit would be ok. I had a few concerns about placement, but i'm not a super tall, or super short person. I'm an average 5'10", so I said yes. that fixed it. $900 later, lol. But it's nice an solid now.

Thursday, August 09, 2012 6:01 PM
Paying the stealership to take away tilt steering. NICE.
Monday, August 20, 2012 7:48 PM
I'm sure a junkyard steering column would have been a lil cheaper...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search