Steering wheel suggestions - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering wheel suggestions
Monday, February 11, 2013 4:47 PM
Looking for steering wheel suggestions as my original is looking like crap. I wouldn't mind a quick release hub. What are your guys' thoughts and opinions?

Re: Steering wheel suggestions
Monday, February 11, 2013 4:53 PM
Cobalt wheel looks nice.
Monday, February 11, 2013 5:16 PM

Factory GM steering wheel FTW

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:19 PM
that varies.......
how done up(what style) is your interior?
When i had a semi-stock interior i had a grant....was cheap...looked decent and was durable
about a year or 2 ago when i started going all out with my interior and was going more :"street rod" style i ended up getting a billet specialties wheel..
be prepared tho if you go that route...they start at around 400 bux
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:32 PM
Nef O wrote:

was that a direct bolt on?

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:09 PM
This^^ gives me ideas lol
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:06 PM
Rob E wrote:
Nef O wrote:

was that a direct bolt on?

Yes sir

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:36 PM
how much lighter is it than the stocker? did it make the steering seem a tad lighter? weight is a big concern of mine and anyway i can shave weight off the car without making it look hideous is a must have for me

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Friday, February 15, 2013 5:52 PM

2009 cobalt ss turbo steering wheel.
Radio controls are functional

Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:33 AM
Was the cobalt steering wheel bolt on? And is the airbag functional?

2002 cavalier LS Sport Sedan

Saturday, February 16, 2013 2:02 PM
it's a bolt on for the 03.5+ steering column

the diameter of the steering shaft changed mid year in 2003 apparently

the airbag currently is not functional, but it will be when and if I ever get around to hooking it up

Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:58 PM
hell yes Nefo, good to see someone else did that too. I had that wheel on my 96 and freaking LOVED it! its smaller like a nice steering wheel and look aftermarket. They come from 2nd gen cavys but its hard to find one in good shape. I would have totally did that in the sunfire if i didnt find the white grant wheel i have now.
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:21 AM
One relatively easy solution to the steering wheel issue is to replace your existing steering wheel with a stock wheel in better shape. You could then cut a portion, or portions, of the perimeter out in the style of aircraft controls. The cut ends could then covered with chrome or plastic caps. This solution was pictured some time ago on this web site.

There is, no doubt, an inherent danger in not having a full perimeter wheel. But, you will have a better looking wheel with no fitment issues. You will retain your air bag system and the result is eye catching.

You would have to weigh the danger of a cut wheel perimeter vs. the loss of air bags before you proceed.
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:49 PM
grant makes nice wheels as well that dont cost a fortune like Momo and the compatibles.
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:39 PM
this is mine...these type dont go well with a stock interior tho
mine has a smooth center that covers the mounting bolts

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 10:41 AM
Does that steering wheel have a functional air bag in it? Considering doing this in my 03.

4 lug wheel covers but 5 lug wheels underneath. Sleeper status yo...
Tuesday, April 02, 2013 11:13 AM
I fully support the NRG quick release hubs!

Pair that with the MOMO hub adapter and a nice MOMO or NRG wheel and you are set!

Plus the quick release brings the wheel closer to your body. I can't even begin to express how much more comfortable I am driving with the wheel at a proper distance.

Also getting in and out of the car is much easier when running bolstered racing seats.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:36 PM
I purchased a 320mm (non deep dish) wheel tonight.
I want to get a slim quick release, but when I go to find the 6bolt hubs I cant find anything less than $250 when I put in 'cavalier' or look for 2004 cavalier compatible models.

What adapter hubs are you guys using? I can get the quick release (slim) for about $16 shipped. But I am having no luck finding the hub itself.

Also, Ill look but incase I cant find it, is there a good write up on how to do the steering wheel? I will obviously disarm my air bag for the driver (will this allow passenger air bag to work still?)

I think the wheel will make a HUGE difference inside...the factory wheel is just god awful to look at. though I do like it being 15" diameter as I drive 99% of the time with my left arm on the window and using only my left hand..with a shorter wheel this may be more difficult lol

btw, says it wont work, but its a 6 hole hub..arent they all the same? will this work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 01, 2013 11:38 PM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, May 03, 2013 12:47 AM
I found how to do the steering wheel, pretty straight forward (with a puller).
but as far as the hub, still curious as to who's using what. that one for $30 is ideal since it has the slim quick release too.

thanks fellars!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, May 20, 2013 11:14 AM
looking to do a NRG setup also. need help in knowing what parts and sizes I need to get. gotta 2002 z24 and a 2000 z24 convertible. Thanks
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:23 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:

2009 cobalt ss turbo steering wheel.
Radio controls are functional

...like the wheel and all but ..how can i has your guages / instrument cluster...from same car ? aftermarket? Easy install in 2k+?
I kinda liked the wheel in the 97 sunfire gt i tore apart but didnt seem like it would be easy to get radio controls to work so it sits in the shed~

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:32 PM
nm checked checked profile ...after of course....

Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:21 AM
2KZ that is a Racepac gauge unit, google it and you will find them. Pricey but very nice.
Thursday, June 06, 2013 5:47 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:it's a bolt on for the 03.5+ steering column

the diameter of the steering shaft changed mid year in 2003 apparently

the airbag currently is not functional, but it will be when and if I ever get around to hooking it up

How would you install the air bag and is it only 1 stage or both stages?
Thursday, June 13, 2013 3:46 PM
Love the look of momo millenium evo and from what i understand they have airbags, so its safe and legal
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search