2000 Sunfire swap with 2005 Dashboard, Steering Wheel other - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Sunfire swap with 2005 Dashboard, Steering Wheel other
Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:03 PM
I have a 2000 Sunfire which is in perfect mechanical condition, rebuilt motor etc.
I plan to swap the dashboard, Steering wheel and rear bumper with an 03 - 05 Sunfire.
Does anyone know if this works. I'm possibly looking and other things to change.

If you know any tips, trips "won't work" issues - I'd greatly appreciate the feedback...

Re: 2000 Sunfire swap with 2005 Dashboard, Steering Wheel other
Sunday, August 23, 2015 3:34 PM
The lower part of the dash (except for some minor differences in the radio bezel and dimmer panel areas) is the same from 1995-2005. The dash pad, or top of the dash, is what's different; 1995-2002 have oval air vents and 2003-2005 have round air vents. The dash pad is easy to remove and re-install. First, disconnect the negative battery cable so the airbags don't go off. Next, remove the long piece by the windshield, the pieces on either ends of the dash, the radio bezel and open the glovebox door, than remove all the screws you see. I had a 2003-2005 dash pad in both my 2002 Sunfires, so I did this a bunch of times and never had any issues. *NOTE: I apologize that my "instructions" are slightly vague. I typed this from memory as I haven't had a Sunfire since 2009. Hopefully it's enough that you can figure it out when you're actually looking at the interior.*

The steering wheel is not a direct swap. The steering column is different; 1995-2002 and 2003-2005. You would have to swap the entire steering column. Have you considered just looking for a 1995-2002 Sunfire GT leather wrapped steering wheel? This would be a direct swap and looks a little fancier than the rubber steering wheels. Again, I did this in my 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan, along with the Sunfire GT leather wrapped shift knob (automatic) and e-brake handle and I think it looked really good.

In order to swap the rear bumper, you would need the bumper cover (obviously) and the 2003-2005 taillights. You would also have to extend the wiring for the reverse lights since the 2000-2002 reverse lights are in the lower corners of the bumper and the 2003-2005 reverse lights are in the trunk panel. Other than that, it's a pretty simple swap that many members here have done.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help you out.

Re: 2000 Sunfire swap with 2005 Dashboard, Steering Wheel other
Friday, October 02, 2015 8:25 PM
A few additional questions:

-On using the 05 steering wheel on an 00 Sunfire. Are the electrical connections Horn, airbag etc the same. I have a friend who is an engineer - he is not an automobile expert but he says he can via CAD/CAM easily cut concentric centers out the 05 and 00 steering wheels. make it a press fit and weld the 05 steering wheel on the 00 hub/column, is there any issue you know of that makes this a problem?

- Do the flat Cavalier running boards directly fit the Sunfire coupe?

- Can you recommend an adhesive for the c pillar (plastic,ABS,?) applique
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search