HVAC colors - Page 8 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HVAC colors
Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:00 AM
i noticed on all you guys hvacs you have blue comming out of the temp settings as well..does cavies normally have a clear light unlike sunfires?? and if so i guess i need to swap to a cavie setup..phil

Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:08 AM
So if i were to be doing this to an 01 cavy i would need 2 74 leds for the hvac and what am i looking for to get good even BRIGHT light in the cluster that is mostly plug and play...

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Tuesday, September 05, 2006 5:22 PM
To get as bright as possible for the HVAC?

Sand down the corners of the bulbs evenly so it becomes rounded off like the stock bulbs are. Use the foil trick definatly (perferably without the icons so more light goes to the knobs), and make sure your knobs are clear. Thats about as bright as you can get them without wiring up more leds or doing anything fancy.
Friday, September 08, 2006 6:47 AM
You know all those wires going to the plug in the back of the HVAC? Anyone know which one supllies the power to the bulbs? I was thinking about doing away with the clear plastic or at least cutting out a space in it so I can stick neon wire or a mini neon in there with a pattern control. Was just any idea though.

My Fquick Page

Saturday, October 14, 2006 6:59 PM
I just want to make sure I need the 2 #74 Wedge Base LED bulbs. 1.19 each at Superbrightleds.com. Is that right guys. I don't want to waste any money.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 7:22 PM
Yes sir.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 7:49 PM
Thanks! I'm going to order them tomorrow for the '01 and the '95. I would of done it tonight, but the wallet is down in the car.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:19 PM
can you post some pics no how to remove the top dash and then put lights the instructions on how to do it on that link suck i dont understand and pics are so small and it doesnt say exactly what to do to put the lights
or even make a video much better i really need to do this i mean is stupid remove the top dash just to put 2 tini tiny bulbs what the helll\
post pics or a vid

Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:54 PM
Would help if you gave some information on your car, year, etc?
Friday, December 29, 2006 8:59 AM
my car is a chevy cavalier 2004 sedan help

Friday, December 29, 2006 4:09 PM
04 Cavy...

Removing Dash:

1) Pop off the side panels on your dash. One side panel is where your fuse panel is, the other is on the opposite side. Use a small flat head screw driver and pop em out since they just snap in anyways. There is (1) screw in each side.

2) Open your glove box and look near the top of where the door closes. There are (2) more screws in that area to take off, one on each side of the clasp/

3) Use a phillips screw driver and get the (1) screw thats visible on the top defroster vent. Remove the vent, and there are (2) more screws holding on the dash. After you remove those, double check, and remove dash. Be careful not to let it bend too much, or it could break. Try to keep it steady removing it out of the car.

Removing the Radio Bezel:

1) I believe there are (3/4) screws holding on the bezel. Look around the edges. I know there is (1) screw near the fuse panel (where a dash screw was), and (2) screws near your center vents, and I believe there is one more near the gauge cluster. Double check to be sure.

2) This is kind of a pain to explain . . . You remove the bezel fully, you'll have to unplug your dimmer panel switch and the cigerette lighter (if you have one). They are small computer plugs that are pretty self explanatory. Unclip and pull to remove them. Be careful not to pull the wires themselves as you don't want them to break. Generally pull on the plug when removing. Once they are disconnected, manuver the bezel from off the steering column and out of the car.

HVAC Lights & Area

1) There are (2) screws on each side of the HVAC panel to remove. Once you remove those, you can pull the HVAC out only so much. The cords behind it are HEAVILY wrapped in electrical tape, so they budge only so much. You can either undo some of the tape to pull it out enough to work with it, or unplug the wires th remove the panel itself. Doesn't matter.

2) If you notice, the HVAC face is held on by small clips/adhesive. Use a small screw driver and push those little clips in to undo the section and to get to the plexi-glass. *NOTE* If you do not plan on doing the foil technique to make the light brighter, do not worry about this step!. Now, if you notice, the light bulb comes through the back of the panel ad shines into the plexi glass to scatter the light. What you can do is take ordinary tin foil and wrap the entire piece of plexi glass. Use a small razor or something, and cut out the areas you want the light brighter. Usually people tend to cut out the area where the knobs go over. If you think about it, all the excess light now, will be reflected and displayed more through these areas. ONLY cut the front foil. You don't have to cut anything on the back, because the light bulbs themselves sit inside the plexi in little holes. Just make sure those light bulb holes are cut out and nothing else.

3) On the back of the HVAC, there are (2) little twist lights. Just take them and turn them slightly and they come out. This is the connector for the lights, and the light bulb themselves. Do NOT break the little tabs on each side as these are what powers the light. Some people have trouble with this, some don't. Use any method to removing the little bulbs from the connector. Some people can pull them out, some use small pliers with a towel over the light to pull. I grabbed the lightbulb with my teeth and pulled the connector itself to remove. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it cause it can break and I don't want anyone cutting their mouth and blaming me. ANYWAYS! Just replace that bulb with whatever bulb that you have. Either a replacement bulb, or an LED color replacement (#74). Make sure it is in snug, and put it back where it was. Put the little connector back in the HVAC and twist to secure it in place. Make sure the conductor tabs are touching the back of the panel like it was, and turn on your HVAC lights to test it out.

If It DOESN'T Light: Double check the LED to make sure it is snug. Also pull the light out and turn it around and re-plug it back in and try again. Make sure the little connector's conductors are touching the copper-looking panel on the back of the HVAC. Make sure the bulbs are working. Keep testing to make sure they light!

If it DOES Light: Reassemble the HVAC by putting the plexi back and reclipping the face back on. Make sure the connector's are turned enough so that they are snug and won't move. Plug anything back in you removed and re-screw on the HVAC. Take the steps backwards to reassemble the HVAC, Radio Bezel & Dash. Wait until night to get the full effect of your newly lit up HVAC panel and post pics so we can say COOOOOOL!

There ya go. Thats a lot of typing, and its not bad for an FAQ without pics, lol

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:09 PM
ok can someone post a pic of n prdinary tin foil and the plexi glass i have w t heck are these thins sorry i have learned engligh
resindg all this makes no wana do it,lol is just like too much just for a bulbe change

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 8:25 PM
Tin Foil: Silver, ridiculously shiny, commonly used kitchen item. You bake on it, cook pizza's on it, etc.

Plexi Glass: A very hard plastic thats transparent. Depending on angles, shape, etc can focus light in multiple direction.

If you follow my directions and take off what needs to be and open up what has to be, you'll see what I'm talking about. The foil trick with the plexi glass is really easy when you physically see how it is.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:28 AM
exodus where did buzz got his blue led 74 bulbs all kepp saying is where to get similars but he doesnt where to get one just like his , why , i read you have the same bulb that he does
tell me

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 7:36 PM
http://autolumination.com/74.htm

There ya go. I bought the simple blue ones which are like the 2nd or so 3rs set.
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:43 PM
can sunfires 95-05 use #74 LED Replacement bulbs? if so autozone and princess auto are 3 mins from my house

Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:02 AM
autozone bulbs suck i think they dont even have 74 bulbs dont buy there get them online
www.superbrightleds.com

Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:30 AM
yeah eff that, i'm not paying 35 bucks just to ship 2 friggen LED's from the U.S. to Canada. what a crock of sh!t...

Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:29 AM
what he said ^^^^^ lol
i dont think autozones has the 74 bulbs in colors cuase the other day i went there and they only had amber you know besides if you want a good product you will follow my advice
there must be some online stoires in canada that sell this bulbs juts gotta look, maybe ebay
i tell you from experience all the products in autozone ... not so good
use the web google is your friend an as a friend you gotta talk to him

Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:38 PM
well right now i just got back from getting some 194 blue filliment bulbs for my cluster and i was searching for 74's at the same time. and i amde a mistake it's part source not auto zone (same @!#$in store though lol they have @!#$ all for parts, just the canadian version) i was gonna buy the Eurolite one but they were 1 dollar more then the ones i did end up buying..yeah yaeh i know i'm cheap. i just wanted to try em out first to see what they can do. if they work well, sik deal i'll go buy the eruolite ones lol. i read somewhere else about lsdiodes.com anyone know if they are trustworthy?

Thursday, January 04, 2007 1:08 PM
ok, i found another good site and the prices are much cheaper and more reasonable. www.autolumination.com and they have sockets for the led/bulbs as well for 29 cents i think i will order from there!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:12 PM
awww @!#$...i just noticed exodus posted that site....sorry guy, didn't mean 2 steal ur thunder! i just now took the rubber off my disle's on my HVAC, and wow they look so nice even without the blue. the factory white looks clean. i have a 96 sunfire, so i tried scraping off the red on the back of the cover for the HVAC....yeah bad idea lol, oh well worth the try. going to get a cavy one either tomorrow or on saturday. ordering the LED's hopefully tonight.

Re: HVAC colors- help me...please...
Saturday, January 06, 2007 10:44 PM
I bought a GLO hvac face and installed it. Since I didn't want the old bulbs in behind the new face glowing, I cut the wires and wired the leads from the face inverter to the wires for the bulbs. The face is working fine now, but the interior lamps will not turn off when i take the key out of the ignition. I tried to wire the original bulbs back in, but that doesn't work. is there any way to get these lamps to work correctly, yet keep the glo face working. I wish that I had checked this forum first, then I'd have not gotten the glo face and gotten led's instead, but now I'm stuck. i pulled the fuse to keep it from killing my battery, but with the fuse pulled, my radio isn't working.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sunday, January 07, 2007 12:44 PM
if i'm not mistaken, all pre 2k j-bodies have the interior lamp stay on for about a minute after u close the doors and lock it and whatnot. just put the fuse back in and turn off ur car, take out ur key lock and close ur doors and just wait a bit. if after 3 mins the lamp still has not turned off, try disconecting and reconecting ur battery. if the problem persists check your wiring. wiring diagrams for j-bodies are available all over google. i found one earlier but it's on my other computer. i'll post the link a bit later. good luck

Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:49 PM
Thanks for your input. I knew that the light stayed on for a while; after I installed the face, I got out and went in the house. When my wife got home several hours later, she told me my interior lights were on, and that's how I discovered the problem. I wired the original lights back in, but the interior lights still won't turn off, and the rewired HVAC lights only work intermittently. I pulled the bulbs on all the interior lights; that should keep it from killing my battery, shouldn't it? I'd still like to get the interior lights working again.

incidentally, this is a sunfire convertible, with two interior lights on the bottom of the rear-view mirror, and two lights on the side panels by the back seat..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search