HOW TO - Remove muti-function switch and wiper switch - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HOW TO - Remove muti-function switch and wiper switch
Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:44 PM
Hey,
I know this may be quite common sense, but there are the people out there that could use a how to.
I'm posting this because I upgraded from a base model wiper switch to the upper model with the variable delay.

This was on my 04 Sunfire so it should be the same for at least 03-05 Cavalier and Sunfire. I'm not sure about earlier years.

Tools needed:
7mm wrench (optional)
7mm socket
socket wrench
Needle nose pliers (to remove fuse)
Rag
Vice grips or some other pliers
You may also need a flat head screwdriver

1: Remove horn fuse. Look in owners manual if you need to.
2: Remove and disable air bag fuse. It's your call. I personally didn't because I knew I wasn't going to go crazy and accidentally jab a screwdriver into wire or anything like that.

3: Remove tilt lever if equipped. This thing can be a pain. I ended up getting mine off by wrapping it with a rag and taking a pliers to it. It marred the tilt lever but o well. If you search, there are other ways to get it off that people have come up with.

4: Look underneath the column. You will see 3 holes. Remove these screws with your 7mm socket.

5: Pull up on the top cover on both the left and right side. It it clipped together and should just pop apart.

6: Now remove the covers. You will have to kinda squeeze it over the ignition switch. Just a couple pictures of the bottom of the covers. You can see the clips and how they slide into each other in the back.

7: Remove these 2 bolts.

8: This bolt is on the right side, connected to the wiper switch. Remove this bolt. All the bolts removed will look like the first bolts from the cover.

It can be a tight squeeze. I removed it by starting it with the socket and finishing with my fingers. When I put it back in, I used a wrench. In my opinion, the wrench is easier.

9: This bolt is on the left side, connected to the multi-function switch. It is also a tight squeeze.

10: You can now remove the wiper switch and multi-function switch. The mounting brackets are just kinda nested in each other of the top. Now's when removing the horn fuse pays off. There is a little springed piece of metal that when it hits the metal wheel will cause your horn to go off. It never failed that before I would remove the horn switch I'd darn near crap my pants when said horn went off.

11: Remove harness from switch. This is where the screwdriver may prove handy

This is the new one I put in.

To reinstall just do the reverse. Make sure to reinstall horn fuse and airbag fuse if you removed it.

-Seth

Re: HOW TO - Remove muti-function switch and wiper switch
Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:49 PM
Wouldn't disconnecting the negative battery cable take care of the horn going off and the air bag possibly deploying? Just saying...

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:21 PM
Ya, I didn't really think about that. I just hate losing my radio eq settings and all that so that's usually last on my list, lol. And realistically, as long as you're not being stupid, the horn is the only real thing you should have to worry about.

-Seth

Friday, May 28, 2010 7:02 PM
Seth,

Thanks for this writeup. I just swapped in one of these variable delay wiper switches today using your instructions, and it went smoothly.

Jim
Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:37 AM
Thanks. Glad it helped!

-Seth

Saturday, May 29, 2010 6:17 PM
just to add something somewhat related to this how-to. If you want delay wipers all you need to do is fined a delay switch and it will plug right in

Sunday, May 30, 2010 8:07 AM
didnt know you could do that, i must investigate, are all the switches the same? or do you have to match 95-99/00-02/03-05 ?

www.driftnamiperformance.com
Sunday, May 30, 2010 7:05 PM
pretty sure there all the same aswell. but that i don't wanna promise ya

Friday, June 11, 2010 2:55 PM
so, the older switch with the variable delay is a direct swap? this drives me insane because I went from a 99 to an 05 with "less" options - a$$ backwards GM thanks for the info, heading to the JY right now..

'99 Sunfire - Bought April 07/Sold April 2010
'05 Sunfire - Bought May 2010/Wrecked Feb 2011
'05 lssport - soon???
Sunday, June 20, 2010 5:20 AM
He, was the multifunction switch the only part you had to replace to upgrade to the variable delay? My '02 doesn't have it, but my '98 I'm selling does
Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:03 AM
Yep, just the switch.

-Seth

Sunday, June 20, 2010 7:11 AM
J TO ENVY wrote:Wouldn't disconnecting the negative battery cable take care of the horn going off and the air bag possibly deploying? Just saying...
wizkiddrummer wrote:Ya, I didn't really think about that. I just hate losing my radio eq settings and all that so that's usually last on my list, lol. And realistically, as long as you're not being stupid, the horn is the only real thing you should have to worry about.
You could just pull the appropriate fuses, so that only the horn and air bags are disabled.

Saturday, June 04, 2016 10:33 PM
Thanks for the writeup and pics. My new cavs switch is screwed and gonna do this swap soon. 6 years later and this thread is still helpin ppl. Brilliant!

ReD RaiN
Monday, June 13, 2016 10:19 PM
Would like to confirm that a 99 switch will fit an 04. Another note.. I dunno how u managed to get ur tilt arm off but mine ended up breaking mid section. Fortuantly the way it broke it can be fixed. I see its suppose to unscrew but in this case that did not work. Will have to look into the variable delay. What models/years had this?

ReD RaiN
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search