gauge cluster swap question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gauge cluster swap question
Saturday, January 01, 2005 8:35 AM
i know that the question of swapping out clusters for 98-99 cavaliers with digital odos has been asked previously. every time i've read a thread about this, it has been stated that the mileage is stored in the cluster, and not in the car's computer, ie, not plug and play enough to avoid odometer fraud without recalibration. anyway, i had my cluster completely dissassembled yesterday. i noticed that the dig. odo is on its own circuit board, which plugs into the main circuit board for the cluster. has anyone tried simply replacing the digital odometer board, and tested to see whether or not the info is stored on that board (there is a chip on there that looks like it might be memory...) or on the larger cluster?

Re: gauge cluster swap question
Monday, January 03, 2005 4:38 AM
i guess nobody tried this?
Sunday, March 20, 2005 8:41 PM
Im going to resurrect this thread because Im looking for the same information. I have my new cluster coming in tommorow and I would be willing to try swapping the odo boards. Anyone know if this is worth the effort or will I be pioneering this experiment?
Monday, March 21, 2005 6:57 PM
well from what i know the odo info is stored in the bcm, also from what i know the bcm is not present in pre 2000 cars sooooooo...that would lead me to belive on the 99's with digital odo's you could just swap the odo cards.....but i could be wrong, and if i am its only a few minutes of work to see if im right or wrong

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Monday, March 21, 2005 7:06 PM
Ok things I now know.

The odo card, is only the lcd and lcd controller. The milage has to be stored some where else on the board. There are two chips that I believe would hold the information. Both chips would be a tough solder. Lots of pins and the board is double sided. Anyone know what is done to reprogram these things?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search