Complete Steering Wheel Removal Help - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Complete Steering Wheel Removal Help
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:59 AM
I did a search but found nothing too specific...

I need to remove my steering wheel in my 03 Cav to install a new turn signal lever.

I know how to remove the upper column cover and that you should disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to avoid air bag deployment...

My question is, where do I go next?

There seem to be several holes holding the screws/bolts that hold the front of the wheel to the back, but the holes face the dash and I can't even see what type of tool I will need to undo them.

After that, I assume that the steering wheel puller will be needed, but is there anything else I should know or any other parts that will need to be removed to get to the front of the turn signal lever?

Any help is much appreciated. Once I get these final steps, I will assemble a step-by-step guide to get the wheel off, including pics.

Thanks.

Re: Complete Steering Wheel Removal Help
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:38 AM
just pop off the top cover. Then u should be able to see the little bolts that hold it in place. You don't need to remove the steering wheel.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:26 PM
Thanks Titus, but that is incorrect (I thought the same as you)

There is a screw that you need to remove in the front on the switch and its right behind the wheel.

Also, there is a little nub in the front of the switch that has to fit into a groove behind the wheel so that the switch knows when the wheel has turned far enough to release your signal.

You have been corrected by Mighty Jabba and he has spoken.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 2:39 PM
I removed a turn signal lever on a 96 cavy. Yes there is a screw that needs to be removed. Use a 6mm wrench (I think thats what size it is). I don't think they changed it from 96 until now.

BUt if u want to remove wheel first u have to remove the airbag. There are like 3-4 screws in the back of the airbag that need to be removed first. After you got the bag off disconnect the wires that go to it. Then u have to use a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off. You can go rent one at autozone or a auto store near you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search