Power windows only when car is on - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Power windows only when car is on
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:56 PM
Hi,
I have the stock power windows on a 2000 z24. I hate the fact that they only work when the car is on or ignition in run position. Has anyone ever rewired a + wire w/ fuse to the window switch so that the windows will work when the car is on and off? I am wanting to set my windows so they work when the car is off too. Has anyone ever did this? Someone told me it would drain my battery. But I dunno. Opinions please.
Thanks

Re: Power windows only when car is on
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 2:12 PM
well, i dunno, but when i converted my manual windows to power windows, they work even when the car is off. I had to run a fused wire straight to the battery so thats why they work when the car is off.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:14 AM
on my truck i noticed that pretty much everything still works after you take the key out untill you open the door, i thought it was just the radio but then realized the windows an stuff work too without ignition till the door is opened...i like that feature a lot

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:39 AM
DrPaul84 wrote:on my truck i noticed that pretty much everything still works after you take the key out untill you open the door, i thought it was just the radio but then realized the windows an stuff work too without ignition till the door is opened...i like that feature a lot

Some cars have more features than others. I still don't get why we only have express-open on the driver's side and sunroof but not the passenger side.

Anyhow... you could certainly wire the system to work when the car is off but you'd probably lose the express-down feature since the system runs through the BCM. I think you'd have to wire the switches directly to the motors or something.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 4:01 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
DrPaul84 wrote:on my truck i noticed that pretty much everything still works after you take the key out untill you open the door, i thought it was just the radio but then realized the windows an stuff work too without ignition till the door is opened...i like that feature a lot

Some cars have more features than others. I still don't get why we only have express-open on the driver's side and sunroof but not the passenger side.

I hate that as well. Does anyone know how hard it would be to make the passenger express down too? I'd kinda think that all you'd have to do is get the switch for the drivers side from the dealer/junkyard and swap it out with the passenger side. I've only slightly dismantled the power window switches, so I don't know how easily they'd come apart.

My Car Domain Page

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 4:19 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Anyhow... you could certainly wire the system to work when the car is off but you'd probably lose the express-down feature since the system runs through the BCM. I think you'd have to wire the switches directly to the motors or something.

no it doesn't, the express down is controlled within itself inside the switch. it does not run thru the bcm. NOOB!

ps - i have express up and down, driver and passenger

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:43 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
ps - i have express up and down, driver and passenger

Pshaw!!

So how'd ya do it? Aftermarket or modified?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:47 PM
Clifford Smartwindows 4

muahahahahhahahahaha its honestly awesome.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:12 PM
yeah i'm installing a 530t DEI module to control remotly my windows, and it'll give me auto up, auto down on both windows. When i wired in my windows, i ran it to the stock location on the harness for power, so its all ignition controlled. I kinda was thinking of the idea of having the windows work 24/7, but decided not to.

thats why i want the 530t installed, hit the button on the remote, and the window rolls down

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:08 PM
definitely catches people's attention

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search