Hvac Relocate? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hvac Relocate?
Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:57 PM
Wheres the most easy place to relocate the HVAC controls?how hard is it?

"Peter Griffin: Brian, there's a message in my Alpha Bits. It says "OOOOOO".
Brian Griffin: Peter, those are Cheerios. "

Re: Hvac Relocate?
Friday, February 18, 2005 12:02 AM
i havent done it but i saw that people had moved them over to just above the glove box on the dash.

i'm baaaaack!!
Friday, February 18, 2005 12:10 AM
will it move over without to much troule..ie adding wires and stuff?

Friday, February 18, 2005 8:24 AM
bump

Friday, February 18, 2005 10:05 AM
Derek,

From what I've read the wires come from that side of the car, so they do not need to be extended (they actually end up being a little long). Do a search because I've seen this talked about a bunch of times and those guys had some great tips.

"I count him braver who overcomes his
desires than him who conquers his enemies.
For the hardest victory is the victory over self."
- Aristotle

Friday, February 18, 2005 10:57 AM
if you check my profile you can see a pic of my hvac re-located in the dash infront of the passenger seat.

you can move it to the passenger side into the glove box, dash, anywhere in that area. you can't move it any closer to the drivers side (the wires come from the passenger side).

now if you want to move it further, such as the center console then you will need to re-wire the hvac system.

you have 3 different parts that need to be taken care of.

1st: extend the wiring (VERY easy!!! a simple splice and extention is al that is needed)
2nd: extend all the vacumm hoses, this shouldn't be too hard really, it's a matter of getting some vacumm hoses that are a bit larger than the current ones in the car, that way you can slide the new hoses ontop of the current ones (this will help prevent leaking and such)
3rd: you will need to extend the temperature cable. again, it's a matter of splicing some new cable onto the current one you have (i would assume the cable would be the most trickiest part to do, but I've never done this...I was about to try this, but then i chickened out incase i ruined something.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 3:52 PM
i wish the hvac was below the vents and that the radio would be on the bottom.

thats what i would do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:22 PM
alot of ppl do the center consule and its hidden that way

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, February 21, 2005 10:49 AM
theres lots of room to move the HVAC, i swapped the 00 dash into my 98, and i had to struggle to move the HVAC down to where the 00+'s are, but it all fit, the cables and wires/hoses all originate to the left of the pass airbag, so theres alot of room to move things around. same with the CD player, i had my stocker 98 cd player in my glove box kuz it wouldnt fit the 00 dash opening

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Monday, February 21, 2005 11:40 AM
I'm currently looking into putting my hvac into the glovebox area, as there is a big monitor taking up that spot. I'm having trouble though, the temperature cable doesnt seem to be long enough to move anywhere. Do I need to replace that one?

Said by cheesecake: I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCT IN MY LIFE GM CAN SUCK MY D*CK I AGREE!

Monday, February 21, 2005 11:44 AM
^ the temp cable should be long enough, it might be caught on something under the dash.

Monday, February 21, 2005 11:46 AM
I donno, where does it go up to? Where is the temp piece that it connects to besides the hvac control? Maybe I can fiddle with it, but I moved my hand up as far as I could go and it almost seems as if the cable is only 3" long.

Said by cheesecake: I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GENERAL MOTORS PRODUCT IN MY LIFE GM CAN SUCK MY D*CK I AGREE!

Monday, February 21, 2005 11:46 AM
Maybe its different on mine since its 2004...

Monday, February 21, 2005 3:46 PM
Does anyone know were there are detailed instructions to relocate the HVAC to the center console?

Thanks
Monday, February 21, 2005 6:32 PM
Well I just found out after lots of playing around with my HVAC (which I did some major modifications to) but there are NO vacuum lines. I repeat NO VACUUM LINES on my car, everything is done electronically. Mine is a 2004 not sure when they made the change, all you have to worry about with relocating is the (not temp, sorry I was wrong) mode selection cable which runs to the driver side, it is only 4" long, the temp one is about the same length, but its on the pass side and easier to work with.

I also found out how to stop AC from automatically turning on when you put the selection to defrost, once you get the HVAC control thing apart, all you have to do is simply remove the harness that connects to the mode selection thing. AC and everything still works 100% normal, just wont auto turn on (pain in the ass if you ask me)

I've got some major modifications going on with this piece (aswell as adding the monitor properly) but since there is no way at all it can remain in the stock location I will be needing cables. Does anyone know where to get them? Preferrably something I would find in Saskatoon rather than online

Monday, February 21, 2005 8:37 PM
sounds like you need longer cables if i'm reading right, so i would suggest going to a junkyard and seeing what you can snag off a different car. doubt it'll cost much of anything and you can spend a day and get a ton of different lengths!

-john
Monday, February 21, 2005 8:40 PM
Hmmm when I relocated mine to the glovebox I had no troubles whatsoever. As a matter of fact moving everything over there made me have more wiring to work with.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:46 AM
I've got alittle trick for your cable if you dont mind making a few peices, first put your controls were you want them, detach the stock cable, trace it back detatch it from there as well, now pick which end is easier to reproduce, or go to the dealer and order a new cable , now create a little lever assembly, attatch the end from the car to one side of the lever, connect any runner length of cable to the other and if needed make another lever assembly attatch the new cable to this then run another stock cable to the other side, this will keep you nice and smooth and can easily be hidden under the center column assembly if done right . i'm planning to use a boat throttle cable for my little move, look around you might find somethin better, but thats the best solution i've come up with to the problem.

J~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search