Speedo question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speedo question
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:22 AM
Hey, I am going to do the intrument cluster swap thing this weekend, cuz my car didnt come with a tach yet mines a manual tranny. I have a 95 2.2 cavy, I was thinking though the since the whole instrument cluster is one unit why not get a cluster that also has a speedo that goes to 230kmph or whatever it does for the newer cavy's, cuz mine only goes to 190kmph. If the only reason this wont work is cuz the wires in the harness wont match up, so what, then I just rewire it then so that it will plug and play. Cuz the speedo would still be getting the same speed reading from the wheel sensors, and the mechanism that moves the speedo needle is contained within the intrument cluster itself, so therefore it will still display the correct speed right? I dont see why not, but if it wont work WHY NOT??? I really want to know. thanx.

P.S. I know my car is OBD1 but for the instrument clusters does that matter? is the only difference the wiring harness that connects to the instrument cluster, cuz that can be rewired?

Re: Speedo question
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:27 AM
It won't work.

Why not?

Because from 1995 to 1999 the cluster was controlled by the ECU. The cluster would send commands on the J1850 bus and address it to the ECU. From 2000 to 2005 the cluster is controlled by the BCM, the cluster sends out commands to the bcm to ask for the current speeds and whatnot, and the bcm asks the ECU. So, if you stick a 2000+ cluster on your car (even though they are physically different size), the cluster will start looking for the BCM and freak out.

Not only that, but from 2000 and up, the mileage was no longer stored in the cluster, its in the BCM. So on your car, you would lose the odometer, and basically you would render your car worthless, since you would have to sell it as "not actual mileage".

So no, the only difference is not the wiring, its the actual operation of the clusters, which is embedded in the programming on the cluster PIC chips.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search