LED's...one more time.. - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LED's...one more time..
Monday, April 11, 2005 9:32 AM
Well..just ordered some LED's..now just a few questions remain..

there's that...but..where would that toggle come into place...and if i only use 4 LED's what and how many resistors?

-Ozzie

Re: LED's...one more time..
Monday, April 11, 2005 10:02 AM
u cant do electricity that way...if u have 12 volts feed, its going to be 12volts at each one, not 3v to each...you need to get a resistor to do the job that you think 4 leds on 12volts is gonna do.. and put the switch in somewhere in between the power supply and the first bulb..

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:08 AM
the picture shows that there will be resistors, but i needed to know which ones...i figured just like the diagram
12V / 4 LED = 3V going thru each LED
*keep in mind this is my first time *lol* and have no experience w/electricity...thanks in advance..

-Ozzie

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:22 AM
the way they are now will split the voltage evenly through the leds so 3 v each depending on the resistor u put in there.

If you wanted each to get 12v, you would need to hook a resistor to one end of the LED, and have one side going to power and the other to ground, not in series where its + to - + to - like shown.

The switch will actually be placed on the left hand side if u look at the circuit. What you need on the 3 pins of the switch, 1 is power from your battery, 1 is ground, which u can connect to ground and the - wire going to leds. The final is your power wire, which will go to the leds so when u flip the switch it lets the battery power go into the leds.

Monday, April 11, 2005 1:47 PM
Dennis wrote:u cant do electricity that way...if u have 12 volts feed, its going to be 12volts at each one, not 3v to each...

wrong

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, April 11, 2005 1:50 PM
you will need at least a 470 ohm resistor

Monday, April 11, 2005 2:05 PM
wrong again

Pay attention to the wiring diagram, guys. Those LEDs are wired in a series. If the voltage drop across each of those LEDs is exactly 3v, you don't need any resistor.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, April 11, 2005 2:07 PM
ok then how would a diagram look of one that utilizes the resistor and doesnt have a voltage drop

Monday, April 11, 2005 2:09 PM
nevermind im an idiot

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:26 PM
So,
1.) No resistors needed(right?)
2.) Its not gonna be that bright? (using it for my HVAC cluster)
3.) Is it gonna look kinda like a loop after its all connected, from1st Negative to positive connecting?
4.) The Orangish colord wire from the Lighter is how many volts?
**sorry for all the questions**

-Ozzie

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:33 PM
1. Depends. What are the stats on the LEDs you're using? Specifically, what is the voltage drop (voltage) across the LED, and what is the LEDs draw (forward current)?

2. It's going to be bright.

3. ? No. Positive source -> LEDs -> Ground

4. 12v, closer to 13 while car is running

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:35 PM
More info...

Say your voltage drop is 2v. That means you can run 6 LEDs (12-2-2-2-2-2-2 = 0). Make sense?

if it's 4v, you can run 3 LEDs.. 12-4-4-4 = 0.

3v, 4 LEDs. Making sense?

But what if it's like, 2.5?

12-2.5-2.5-2.5-2.5 = 2. What now? This is where ohm's law comes in. Check the interior FAQ for a much more detailed writeup.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Monday, April 11, 2005 5:36 PM
wow...i'm a pretty smart guy, but that made me feel retarded...lmao...thanks...i needed that, ThAnkS RApTor..

-Ozzie

Monday, April 11, 2005 5:42 PM
http://www.lsdiodes.com/5mm/

was gonna use these in Blue..
and goin back to #3 i--i wont be using the Black wire?
...sorry didnt post earlier, obviously multi-taskin isnt my forte...stoopid J-o-b-!

-ozzie

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search